The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > MAIN GATE > CS Community

Old 11-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #801
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
That, I think, might warrant a temporary ban.
I think we should see if he becomes friends with the secret service first
"I don't...Am I speaking Russian? How come I'm speaking Russian?"
Ramplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #802
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Thought so,...see it's federal law that needs changing for this to take hold

Marijuana legalization victories could be short-lived

(Reuters) - Votes making Colorado and Washington the first U.S. states to legalize marijuana for recreational use could be short-lived victories for pot backers because the federal government will fight them, two former U.S. drug control officials said on Wednesday.

They said the federal government could sue to block parts of the measures or send threatening letters to marijuana shops, followed up by street-level clampdowns similar to those targeting medical marijuana dispensaries the government suspects are fronts for drug traffickers.

"This is a symbolic victory for (legalization) advocates, but it will be short-lived," Kevin Sabet, a former adviser to the Obama administration's drug czar, told reporters.

"They are facing an uphill battle with implementing this, in the face of ... presidential opposition and in the face of federal enforcement opposition," Sabet said.

Colorado and Washington state legalized the possession and sale of marijuana for adult recreational use on Tuesday through ballot measures in defiance of federal law, while a similar initiative was defeated at the polls in Oregon.

The initiatives appeared to reflect growing national support for liberalized marijuana laws, as indicated by a Gallup poll last year that found 50 percent of Americans favored making it legal, versus 46 percent opposed.

The U.S. Department of Justice, which considers marijuana an illegal drug liable to being abused, said enforcement of the federal Controlled Substances Act "remains unchanged."

"We are reviewing the ballot initiatives and have no additional comment at this time," a government statement said.

Sabet said he expected the Obama administration would at some point file a federal lawsuit to challenge and seek to block aspects of state-level legalization measures and that this "is going to be caught up in the courts for quite a while."

HARD TO ROLL BACK CLOCK

But federal action was not expected to snuff out state-sanctioned marijuana in those states - especially the ability of individuals to possess an ounce or less of the drug without risk of arrest by local police.

Sabet, who opposes legalization, acknowledged that states were free to eliminate their own penalties for possession. But he said U.S. Attorneys could send letters to Colorado and Washington governors warning them not to implement provisions to regulate and tax marijuana at special stores.

Or the federal government could wait until such a system is created and sue to block it, he said.

Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper, a Democrat, had said he personally opposed his state's legalization measure. But he has since said he plans to respect the will of voters.

In Washington state, Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jay Inslee, who was leading in the vote count in a tight race, has spoken out against his state's initiative but is committed to implementing it, campaign spokeswoman Jaime Smith said.

If the Obama administration reacts too harshly, it could suffer politically with younger, more left-leaning voters who chose legalization and typically lean Democratic.

But President Barack Obama also faces pressure from anti-drug groups to protect young people from harm they say would result if states set up a regulated and taxed marijuana trade.

Robert DuPont, who served as drug czar for former Presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford and opposes legalization, said he welcomed a confrontation.

"I think it's time to resolve it," he said.

Ian Millhiser, senior constitutional policy analyst with the left-leaning Center for American Progress, said the federal government, even if it sues to challenge the Colorado and Washington initiatives, cannot force police in those states to arrest people for marijuana infractions.

"If I were Barack Obama, I would look at this and say I would rather have young voters with me," Millhiser said.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #803
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

they can use the supremacy clause to pretty much lock it up in the courts for a long time, and fat chance of it passing in a court.

once one gets supremacy claused, the other will not be implemented as it will cost the state so much just in legal fees.

will be a sad day for democracy if that happens though.

and frizzo looks like utah joined you guys in becoming the only other full red state.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)

Last edited by FranklinTard; 11-08-2012 at 10:56 AM.
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #804
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

FOX News is killing the Republican Party.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fox-n...-party-2012-11

Jon Stewart Gleefully Rips Into Fox News Election Coverage: ‘There Was An Avalanche On Bull***** Mountain’

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewa...lsht-mountain/

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is why we don't watch FOX News folks! They are blindly guiding millions of people into hope and ideas that honestly just don't exist.

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #805
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

are you just finding this out now?
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #806
Neverending
sex

Romney's loss may have destroyed Karl Rove. His Super PAC essentially lost $300 million. That's why he was sweating on FOX News.
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #807
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

The Ole Miss thing is absolutely ridiculous.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #808
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #809
Justin
Executive Producer

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2094490.html

Does he still make music, or what?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #810
MasterChief117
The Batman

Who says it 'varmit'? What a tool.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
Old 11-09-2012, 01:27 AM   #811
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Until the day I die, I will never understand how someone who once wore a loincloth on more than one occasion could be taken seriously (and be revered) by so many people. He's like a walking cartoon -- I mean, the dude brings machine-guns onstage at concerts. If some rapper did that, there'd be a congressional hearing.

This will explain everything.
Brock Landers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #812
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

I can't believe so many people give a **** what Trump says.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #813
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
I can't believe so many people give a **** what Trump says.
He's like a financial wizard or something - he's had four companies of his file for bankruptcy
Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #814
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

I know this is old, but it's only fitting since we just had an election, and I always laugh when I read it, lol;

Quote:

To the citizens of the United States of America from Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II:

In light of your immediate failure to financially manage yourselves and also in recent years your tendency to elect incompetent Presidents of the USA and therefore not able to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately. (You should look up ‘revocation’ in the Oxford English Dictionary.)

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (except Kansas, which she does not fancy).

Your new Prime Minister, David Cameron, will appoint a Governor for America without the need for further elections.

Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated sometime next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

1. The letter ‘U’ will be reinstated in words such as ‘colour,’ ‘favour,’ ‘labour’ and ‘neighbour.’ Likewise, you will learn to spell ‘doughnut’ without skipping half the letters, and the suffix ‘-ize’ will be replaced by the suffix ‘-ise.’Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up ‘vocabulary’).

2. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as ”like’ and ‘you know’ is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. There is no such thing as U.S. English. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take into account the reinstated letter ‘u' and the elimination of ‘-ize.’

3. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.

4. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you’re not quite ready to be independent. Guns should only be used for shooting grouse. If you can’t sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist, then you’re not ready to shoot grouse.

5. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. Although a permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

6. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left side with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.

7. The former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling gasoline) of roughly $10/US gallon. Get used to it.)

8.You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.

9. The cold, tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. New Zealand beer is also acceptable, as New Zealand is pound for pound the greatest sporting nation on earth and it can only be due to the beer. They are also part of the British Commonwealth – see what it did for them. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat’s Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

God Save the Queen.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #815
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Charles Darwin gets 4,000 write-in votes in Georgia

ATLANTA (Reuters) - A Georgia congressman who attacked the theory of evolution found himself with an unlikely opponent in Tuesday's U.S. election, when 4,000 voters in one county cast write-in ballots for the 19th century father of evolution, British naturalist Charles Darwin.

In a September 27 speech, Paul Broun, a physician and member of the U.S. House of Representatives Science, Space and Technology Committee, called evolution and the Big Bang Theory, "lies straight from the pit of hell."

Since Broun, a Republican, had no opposition in the general election, a University of Georgia plant biology professor, Jim Leebens-Mack, and others started a write-in campaign for Darwin, the father of the theory of evolution.

"We don't feel our interests are being best served by an anti-science fundamentalist representing us on the Science, Space and Technology Committee," Leebens-Mack told Reuters on Friday.

The write-in votes in Athens-Clarke County will not count officially since Darwin was never certified as a write-in candidate, but Leebens-Mack hopes the campaign will encourage a strong candidate, Democrat or Republican, to challenge Broun in 2014.

"I think there could be Democratic opposition, but even more likely is having a rational Republican who understands issues like global warming, scientific reasoning more generally," said Leebens-Mack.

Broun received 16,980 votes in Athens-Clarke County, home of the University of Georgia, Broun's undergraduate alma mater.

Broun's office issued a statement on Friday that did not directly address Darwin, saying that the congressman "looks forward to representing the ... constitutional conservative principles" of his constituents.

The statement also noted that Broun "received a higher level of support from his constituents in Athens-Clarke County this election cycle than in any of his previous campaigns."
Old 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #816
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

I still don't get how a guy like that is a member of the Science, Space and Technology Committee, I just don't.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #817
Justin
Executive Producer

Broun gives UGA a really bad name.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #818
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Obama wins Fla., topping Romney in final tally
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-wins-fla...-election.html
Thanks for showing up Florida, but the rest of us were done on election night
Old 11-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #819
Neverending
sex

Florida is always a mess.
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #820
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

Since Faux News was the only network I could find streaming online on election day, I had them up, and I'm so glad I did. It was beyond hilarious! Every state was publishing returns that mirrored Nate Silver's polling numbers, which Faux and it's pundits have spent the last month or two deriding. The desperation in their voices as the inevitable became clear to them was quite satisfying.

I don't have a problem with conservatives in general, but when they actively deny obvious truths and substitute them with what they wish to be true? That I have a serious problem with, and Faux has been doing it non-stop for the past four years.

Stephen Colbert likes to say that reality has a liberal bias, but that's not really true. Liberals and centrists are simply more receptive to what reality IS than conservatives are.
Wyldstaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #821
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
Florida is always a mess.
But just think, this time around we managed to finish an entire election WITHOUT THEM around to **** up the numbers, lol.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #822
Seakazoo
formerly KUacuraChick

Send a message via AIM to Seakazoo

ding-dammit I missed whatever it was that RedVader said that finally got him the boot.

https://twitter.com/seakazoo My Twitter
https://twitter.com/piratejim2 My cat's Twitter
Seakazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #823
MasterChief117
The Batman

Something about Lincoln/Kennedy only being good because they were assassinated and Obama basically should follow that path, or will end up following that path. It was incredibly crude, quite frankly, disgusting.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #824
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief117 View Post
Something about Lincoln/Kennedy only being good because they were assassinated and Obama basically should follow that path, or will end up following that path. It was incredibly crude, quite frankly, disgusting.
That will certainly do it. Earlier today I was reading about how a woman in California was fired from her job because she made a comparable remark on her facebook page. The Secret Service investigates EVERY threat against the President, including implied ones.
Wyldstaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #825
Seakazoo
formerly KUacuraChick

Send a message via AIM to Seakazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief117 View Post
Great googly moogly

https://twitter.com/seakazoo My Twitter
https://twitter.com/piratejim2 My cat's Twitter
Seakazoo is offline   Reply With Quote