The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: Rate LOOPER
10 6 26.09%
9 7 30.43%
8 7 30.43%
7 3 13.04%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2012, 05:10 AM   #51
Mikey-Bizzle
Executive Producer

I don't do long reviews but thought this was pretty dam good one of the best films of the year without at doubt. 8/10
Mikey-Bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #52
unity768
Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to unity768

Science fiction is one of the toughest genre’s to appeal to mass audiences. Rian Johnson’s latest opus, titled Looper, hasn’t exactly lit the house on fire at the box office, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be. This is a futuristic, wam-bam science fiction adventure that goes in directions new and old. There are large ideas and tiny tricks that Johnson uses that help us delve into the world he has created. In this future, there are certain humans that have telekinesis. It’s some sort of human genetic mutation…but those who have it can merely float coins. Our main character, Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) explains in a sort of effective voice over, just how “tacky” these abilities are pointing to particular problems.

In the future, there are loopers that kill people for the mob who are sent back in time. They appear and the looper shoots them in an instant. After some time the mob sends the actual looper back in time to be killed by none other than themselves. This is called closing your loop. This is the predicament Joe is in. Not only does he let his own loop get away from him (Bruce Willis) but manages to get entangled in a mess that observes his loop trying to kill a child who may or may not turn out to be an immense figure of evil. This is followed by some kick ass action and visual spectacles that was actually pulled off by a restrained budget. Bravo!

All the science fiction elements are in place and work effectively. The time travel and flash forward storytelling (we see certain characters storylines by halting the present time and jumping into their future) is intriguing and reels the viewer in. Time traveling is always something of a mess when tackled in movies. We all know the endless paradoxes throughout the Back to the Future Trilogy, or the lack of focus in the plot jumping throughout The Time Traveler’s Wife. Here, Bruce Willis and his younger self get into an argument about how meeting each other can impact their thinking. Willis simply yells, “I’m not going to talk about time travel!” It’s a neat way of telling the audience to simply sit back and enjoy what is being presented to you.

The time and place where we see our story unfold is poverty-stricken and somewhat of a slum. Our characters, especially Joe, are seen taking eye drop drugs and hanging out at strip clubs. I remember turning to my girlfriend and saying, “Well…the future doesn’t look too bright does it?” But this tactic does work and invites our motivation to have our characters live in a better world. This is one of the objectives that Johnson has to try and tackle…and he does so admirably. Old Joe’s back story gives us a reason to root for him. Willis is very good here, doing a lot with very little dialogue and screen time. Young Joe’s current story, involving a young woman and her son, is heartfelt and played authentically. Gordon-Levitt’s reformed face due to prosthetics is not distracting, and certainly helps us grapple with the idea of time travel and seeing your older self in current time. His work here is effective and continues his reputation as an actor that we can easily follow and get behind. Many critics criticized Christopher Nolan’s Inception for not having enough weight behind its characters, but I can’t see them nitpicking this science fiction story for the same reasons.

If there is room for criticism, it would lay in the hands of how Johnson maps out the second half of his story. Watching old Joe struggle with the concept of killing children one by one until the right one is dead is intriguing, but observing young Joe become a part of this family (young woman, played by Emily Blunt and her child) has some issues. For one, everything seems a little too audience-friendly and I connected the dots in ways that I wish I hadn’t. However, most of this time is invested in watching young Joe change his motivations and feelings. This is an example of how the film separates itself…and separates it does. Looper may not be the ground breaker that some have called it, but it is a significant achievement this year and perhaps a deeper achievement for those who put heavy stock in their science fiction stories.

Last edited by unity768; 12-08-2012 at 05:38 PM.
unity768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #53
nine1wing
Executive Producer

the ending is stupid, your telling me the kid is never gonna have a temper tantrum and realise everyone kisses his ass when he starts his powers, waste of 2 hours

Last edited by Fanible; 10-13-2012 at 04:25 AM.
nine1wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #54
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Not only did you not use spoiler tags but your review sounds like a 10 year olds

Thanks for your input!

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.

sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #55
Justin
Executive Loser

If you're not going to provide any input as to WHY you believe it sucks, other than "the kid was annoying", then you should go somewhere else. That wasn't the point and you know it. Presumably as the kid ages, he'll be capable of controlling his emotions and his abilities more. I didn't think that would have been so difficult to grasp.

Go away.

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #56
PG Cooper
Raging Bull

nine1wing strikes again! I nominate nine1wing for the forum's first "Poster of the Year" award. Who's with me?

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson

PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #57
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

He has a point...
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #58
sshuttari

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheCool View Post
He has a point...
It's not whether he does or doesn't... Just a little consideration for other viewers of this forum, who haven't seen the movie.

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #59
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Ah yes. Spoilers.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #60
Dhamon22
High Flying Bird

Send a message via AIM to Dhamon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheCool View Post
He has a point...
I guess? The ending still leaves it open ended IMO. Maybe Joe's sacrifice works, maybe it doesn't but it gives him a chance. Sarah is alive to help him learn to control it.

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.com

@theredboxreport
Dhamon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #61
Fanible
FanFreakinTastic

Send a message via AIM to Fanible

Can everyone not directly quote someone who posts a spoiler? Mmkay?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #62
nine1wing
Executive Producer

Yeah because it worked out so well with darth vader Lol. Sorry but any normal person who has the power to destroy will use it on purpose or on accident. You know I have a point on this, first time he gets picked on and says enough, kid doesn't get his way, or life itself, (broke, mean boss, gf cheats on him) ect ect, the ending of this movie ruined the rest of it. They changed nothing. Your telling me we wouldn't have any criminals if they had a father or mother figure in their life BS!!!!!

Last edited by Fanible; 10-13-2012 at 03:11 PM.
nine1wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #63
sshuttari

Why the hell do you not use spoiler tags. Are you a moron??? Seriously stop trolling or get banned and good riddens!

Quote:

Old 10-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #64
Justin
Executive Loser

No one is saying a parent changes everything. It just gives him a better opportunity in life. How is that so difficult to understand? It doesn't even require any thought. Why do you think the kid and his mom live out in the middle of nowhere? It wasn't just a coincidence.

I also answered your question about the kid (as did Dhamon), so scroll up. Also, for the last time: BLACK OUT THE SPOILERS. That should just be a given.

Last edited by Justin; 10-13-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #65
JG7_ME262
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveus1011 View Post
Back to the Future and Terminator might dispute that.
This movie has some of those similarities...
But solid film none the less in my opinion.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #66
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Ok, finally saw this. And while I think it was a very enjoyable and well-made film, I didn't love it. Science fiction is suppose to be about one thing. One thing. Someone in this thread said this movie had a better first half than second half and Ian seems to agree with with what I'm about to say, and that's that the kid's storyline does not mesh well with the rest of it. You say they're going to invent time travel and in the future? Great. You also say in the future people all of the sudden develop telekinesis? Bull****.

This felt like a cross between The Terminator and It's a Good Life. But not in a good way.

(The sequence that shows Joe age through the years was easily the best part)

***/****

59 out of 64 Hugo Award winners completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
What are you trying to prove exactly?
Quote:
I have no idea.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #67
Fanible
FanFreakinTastic

Send a message via AIM to Fanible

You waited too long.

Fail.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #68
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Also, the ending to Citizen Kane is stupid. I don't get it.

59 out of 64 Hugo Award winners completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
What are you trying to prove exactly?
Quote:
I have no idea.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #69
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Would it be possible to come back from the future at some point and kill this thread?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #70
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
Ok, finally saw this. And while I think it was a very enjoyable and well-made film, I didn't love it. Science fiction is suppose to be about one thing. One thing. Someone in this thread said this movie had a better first half than second half and Ian seems to agree with with what I'm about to say, and that's that the kid's storyline does not mesh well with the rest of it. You say they're going to invent time travel and in the future? Great. You also say in the future people all of the sudden develop telekinesis? Bull****.

This felt like a cross between The Terminator and It's a Good Life. But not in a good way.

***/****
I quite enjoyed the fact that telekinesis snuck up on me the way it did.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #71
sshuttari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanible View Post
You waited too long.

Fail.
My friend saw this movie after hearing about all the spoilers and what was going to happen in the 2nd half... He didn't enjoy the movie at all... Lost all it's tension and surprises.

Quote:

Old 10-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #72
Knerys

Saw this on Wednesday. I loved it. It did get a little muddy in the middle but the payoff was worth it. And on a personal note, scifi it's supposed to make you think about the little questions.

Though again, not marketed correctly by the studios. I'm about to stop paying attention to promotions all together.

8/10
Old 11-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #73
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

death of the year for paul dano's character.

hated the tk element to the story though.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #74
Jack
Executive Producer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post

***/****
Whoa whoa whoa...you're saying this movie has space battles...and they can move things with their mind!? I'm out.

I hear what JBond is saying, but I loved, loved, loved the second half of this film. I thought the pacing was much better and thought the stakes much higher. I loved that I knew nothing about it either from the marketing. As a film though, they plant the seed for TK pretty early. It is a turn in tempo and emphasis, no doubt, but it worked really well for me.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #75
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Whoa whoa whoa...you're saying this movie has space battles...and they can move things with their mind!? I'm out.
Its long been argued that Star Wars is more fantasy than sci-fi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
the stakes much higher.
Are you a Filmspotting listener, by chance?