The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE BACK LOT > Books & Comics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #451
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal
 
PsYkOoOoO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore.
Posts: 22,627
Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO
Default

It'd definitely be more encouraging if GRRM is some kinda marathoner.
__________________
W.
PsYkOoOoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #452
chewie
Flag on the Moon
 
chewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 9,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinTard View Post
i wanna see the freys get smashed between stannis and manderly, their main force sent to death, and then the white walkers just descend on the twins after the wall comes down, eliminating that nasty house 'for true'.
That would be quite a fitting end for them.
__________________
Loser Status Confirmed
chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #453
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal
 
PsYkOoOoO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore.
Posts: 22,627
Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO
Default

Personally, I just want to see some White Walker action. The people in this world have been ignoring them for way too long. It's time for them to march down and remind them that the **** is upon them.
__________________
W.
PsYkOoOoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #454
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 70,253
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

A Dance with Dragons was nominated for a Hugo for Best Novel. Not really a big deal though...A Feast for Crows was a nominated novel as well.
__________________
The due date for Round 151 of the CS Film Club is Monday, April 7th, 2014.

59 out of 64 Hugo Award winners completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
What are you trying to prove exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
I have no idea.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #455
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer
 
IanTheCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,128
Default

I started rereading Dance to look for the little things. But I think I'll read other books in between, so it may take a while.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:09 AM   #456
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal
 
PsYkOoOoO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore.
Posts: 22,627
Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
A Dance with Dragons was nominated for a Hugo for Best Novel. Not really a big deal though...A Feast for Crows was a nominated novel as well.
It's surprising that GRRM hasn't won any Hugos, even with the first three books in the series.
__________________
W.
PsYkOoOoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:46 AM   #457
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 70,253
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

If I recall, A Storm of Swords finished second...to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Read them both; GRRM should have won.
__________________
The due date for Round 151 of the CS Film Club is Monday, April 7th, 2014.

59 out of 64 Hugo Award winners completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
What are you trying to prove exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
I have no idea.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #458
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal
 
PsYkOoOoO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore.
Posts: 22,627
Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO
Default

Oh, I had no idea that it is ranked. Interesting.
__________________
W.
PsYkOoOoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #459
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer
 
IanTheCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,128
Default

With a second read through, I am pretty convinced that I know whats happening with Jon. Martin actually makes it pretty clear with some of the earlier chapters.

I also have a theory about where Rickon is, though its not the popular one. I have a feeling he's in Greywater Watch.

Who I don't have a theory developed around yet is Aegon/Young Griff. What do you guys think is up with that whole storyline?
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #460
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal
 
PsYkOoOoO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore.
Posts: 22,627
Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheCool View Post
Who I don't have a theory developed around yet is Aegon/Young Griff. What do you guys think is up with that whole storyline?
I think Aegon, or Young Griff, is the real deal. If I remember correctly, he was smuggled out of Westeros with the help of Varys, right? I seriously doubt that Varys would go through all the trouble just to smuggle out a doppelgänger of Aegon. However, I don't think he's going to be a real dragon like Daenerys, but more like Viserys who, you know, can be killed by fire. I think eventually, Aegon and Daenerys are going to go head to head against each other somewhere down the line. Perhaps Aegon may try to court Daenerys first, since that's how the Targaryens roll.Again, I am basing this on very vague memories of A Dance with Dragons. I read that book all the way back in September and forgot parts of it.
__________________
W.
PsYkOoOoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #461
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!
 
bbf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Yes
Posts: 14,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
It'd definitely be more encouraging if GRRM is some kinda marathoner.
Have you seen the guy? I doubt he even knows what a "Marathon" is.
__________________
A signature
bbf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #462
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal
 
PsYkOoOoO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore.
Posts: 22,627
Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf2 View Post
Have you seen the guy? I doubt he even knows what a "Marathon" is.
I know. I am saying if he's a marathoner, that will put my mind at ease. Judging by his physical looks (weight and age), it does worry me.
__________________
W.
PsYkOoOoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #463
Justin
Executive Loser
 
Justin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
I think Aegon, or Young Griff, is the real deal. If I remember correctly, he was smuggled out of Westeros with the help of Varys, right? I seriously doubt that Varys would go through all the trouble just to smuggle out a doppelgänger of Aegon. However, I don't think he's going to be a real dragon like Daenerys, but more like Viserys who, you know, can be killed by fire. I think eventually, Aegon and Daenerys are going to go head to head against each other somewhere down the line. Perhaps Aegon may try to court Daenerys first, since that's how the Targaryens roll.Again, I am basing this on very vague memories of A Dance with Dragons. I read that book all the way back in September and forgot parts of it.
That's actually very possible.

Last edited by Justin; 04-10-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #464
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal
 
PsYkOoOoO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore.
Posts: 22,627
Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheCool View Post
With a second read through, I am pretty convinced that I know whats happening with Jon. Martin actually makes it pretty clear with some of the earlier chapters.
So what's happening with the character?
__________________
W.
PsYkOoOoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #465
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal
 
PsYkOoOoO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore.
Posts: 22,627
Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO
Default

QUIZZES FOR A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE.

Let's see how well you guys know the series.

Name all the POV characters from the books: http://www.sporcle.com/games/Natalie...pov-characters
Name the objects/names/places in the ASOIAF universe: http://www.sporcle.com/games/yoshima/gameofthrones
__________________
W.
PsYkOoOoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #466
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer
 
IanTheCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
So what's happening with the character?
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Well, Martin sets up the Varamyr Sixskins prologue for a reason. He also has Coldhands being confirmed as being dead yet still living early in the book. From this I am figuring he is setting up the possibility of Jon warging into Ghost as he dies, like Varamyr did. Then when his body is raised by The Others, he enters back in and takes control of his body again, much like Coldhands possibly did, since Coldhands is likely Benjen Stark. And since Benjen is a Stark he probably has warging abilities as well.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #467
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 70,253
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

Naming the POV characters is easy...until A Feast for Crows.
__________________
The due date for Round 151 of the CS Film Club is Monday, April 7th, 2014.

59 out of 64 Hugo Award winners completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
What are you trying to prove exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
I have no idea.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #468
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal
 
PsYkOoOoO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore.
Posts: 22,627
Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheCool View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Well, Martin sets up the Varamyr Sixskins prologue for a reason. He also has Coldhands being confirmed as being dead yet still living early in the book. From this I am figuring he is setting up the possibility of Jon warging into Ghost as he dies, like Varamyr did. Then when his body is raised by The Others, he enters back in and takes control of his body again, much like Coldhands possibly did, since Coldhands is likely Benjen Stark. And since Benjen is a Stark he probably has warging abilities as well.
That's what I suspect as well. Although I have no idea how GRRM is going to have Jon still as a POV character when he is Ghost. Probably a lot of italicized text here.
__________________
W.
PsYkOoOoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #469
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal
 
PsYkOoOoO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore.
Posts: 22,627
Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
Naming the POV characters is easy...until A Feast for Crows.
And the Prologue/Epilogue characters. I got Will and Kevan Lannister, but that's about it.
__________________
W.
PsYkOoOoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #470
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!
 
FranklinTard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 16,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheCool View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Well, Martin sets up the Varamyr Sixskins prologue for a reason. He also has Coldhands being confirmed as being dead yet still living early in the book. From this I am figuring he is setting up the possibility of Jon warging into Ghost as he dies, like Varamyr did. Then when his body is raised by The Others, he enters back in and takes control of his body again, much like Coldhands possibly did, since Coldhands is likely Benjen Stark. And since Benjen is a Stark he probably has warging abilities as well.
been saying that since i finished dance. in fact i have it written a few pages back...
__________________
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #471
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer
 
IanTheCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinTard View Post
been saying that since i finished dance. in fact i have it written a few pages back...
Sweet. Looks like we may have something then.

As for the POV, I thikn that while Jon is Ghost, we will see events through Melisandre until he's back in his body. Or perhaps Jon simply won't have his own chapters anymore.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #472
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!
 
FranklinTard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 16,588
Default

she's also a red priestess, they have powers in this world.
__________________
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #473
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal
 
PsYkOoOoO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore.
Posts: 22,627
Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheCool View Post
As for the POV, I thikn that while Jon is Ghost, we will see events through Melisandre until he's back in his body. Or perhaps Jon simply won't have his own chapters anymore.
I can see a lot of fans being up in arms about that.
__________________
W.
PsYkOoOoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #474
Boro
Not a Robot, but a Ghost
 
Boro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Serenity
Posts: 9,366
Default

Just finished Storm of Swords. I knew about the Red Wedding, but still. And Yggrite

As much as I enjoyed the first 3 books, I can't say I'm looking forward to Feast all that much knowing who the POV characters are and how many chapters they all have, but we'll see how it goes.

How is the paper/print quality of the hardcover books? I have older paperback editions of the first two books, and I thought those were fine, but I noticed that with the newer "HBO" versions that I have for Storm and Feast, the text smudges ridiculously easy.

Last edited by Boro; 06-07-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Boro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #475
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal
 
PsYkOoOoO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore.
Posts: 22,627
Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro View Post
Just finished Storm of Swords. I knew about the Red Wedding, but still. And Yggrite

As much as I enjoyed the first 3 books, I can't say I'm looking forward to Feast all that much knowing who the POV characters are and how many chapters they all have, but we'll see how it goes.

How is the paper/print quality of the hardcover books? I have older paperback editions of the first two books, and I thought those were fine, but I noticed that with the newer "HBO" versions that I have for Storm and Feast, the text smudges ridiculously easy.
A Feast for Crows is not as bad as people make it out to be. It's tonally much slower than the first three books, and it's really half of one book (since it occurs at the same time with A Dance with Dragons). Many people who started reading the books gave up at A Feast for Crows because the story slowed down a lot. However, if you have the patience to finish book 5, you will see that book 4 and 5 are setting up to something major coming up in book 6 and 7 (hopefully). It isn't immediately rewarding as a reader, but there are a lot of undercurrents between the lines. You don't have those SHOCK moments, for the world and characters vastly expand.

And as for the hardcover editions, I believe books 1-4 are pretty hard to find for the most part. I only have book 5 in hardcover, and that thing is pretty sturdy, made in good quality. I believe there's a deluxe edition out there somewhere after the re-release, but they are also ridiculously expensive.
__________________
W.
PsYkOoOoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.

Contact Us - ComingSoon.net - Superhero Hype! - Shock Till You Drop - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ComingSoon.net is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. © All Rights Reserved.