The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > General Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #1051
PG Cooper
Raging Bull
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,054
Default

7. Casino Royale


Bond had to appear in this list, inevitably. The thing is, very few of the Bond films are really action driven. Most of my favourites are actually the slower ones. Casino Royale is the exception to this. It's action-driven, adrenaline pumping, ass kicking thrill ride. I love it. Craig gives Bond a hard edge, and the film has a grittier tone than most of the others in the series. The action scenes reflect this, while still having a feel of being larger than life. You have Bond's first kill in the bathroom, the airport set piece, a small car chase, a close-quarters fight in a stairwell, and an awesome final shoot-out. But the action highlight has to be the chase scene through Madagascar. I don't understand how someone could watch that film and not get excited. I also love how the action scenes actually are revealing to Bond's character. The ruthless and barbaric nature of the scenes are reflective of Bond. What else can you say? Casino Royale is just awesome.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


6. Die Hard


Yeah, you all knew this was coming. Die Hard is the quintessential action film. It's got great action, a badass hero, an equally badass villain, a good story, and the film is genuinely funny. Probably the best aspect of the film is the struggle between John Mclane and Hans Gruber. Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman are both awesome in their roles, and play off each other brilliantly. The action scenes here are top notch. Plenty of explosions, shoot-outs, and fist fights. If I had to pick when action scene as a favourite? "Shoot the glass!" Tense moment that also makes John a very human and relatable protagonist. The film also has some of the best lines in any action movie. There's the classic "Yippe ki yay, mother f***er", but also underrated classics like "No f***ing s**t lady, do I sound like I'm ordering a pizza!" and "Now I have a machine gun, ho-ho-ho." Die Hard also holds a special place for me since my I now annually watch it every Christmas Eve. Because nothing says "Christmas" quite like Die Hard.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


5. The Dark Knight


It may not be the most action-driven film on the list, but damn, The Dark Knight really gets my blood pumping. While the action in Nolan's Batman Begins was something of a mixed bag, the action in The Dark Knight takes a big step up. There's the opening bank heist, Batman's first appearance, The Joker's interrogation, a hospital explosion, the fight at Bruce's penthouse, the final fight against The Joker, Batman taking on a SWAT team, and best of all, one of the most impressive chase scenes I've ever seen. What's great about all the action though is that it never gets in the way of the story or characters. In fact it's always there to support the story and characters. The reason the action scenes are so effective is because we're so wrapped up in the story and the struggle between Batman and The Joker.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


4. Raiders of the Lost Ark


Raiders of the Lost Ark might just be the definition of fun. From the opening scene to the end credits, I watch this film and smile the whole way through. In part because of the awesome action scenes, such as the opening scene, the truck chase, the bar fight, the swordsman, the big Nazi guy, and the chase through Cairo. In part because of the severely underrated villain Belloq, played brilliantly by Paul Freeman. You love to hate this guy. But most importantly, the main reason Raiders works is Indiana Jones himself, Harrison Ford. Indiana Jones is one of the most awesome characters in movie history. He's strong, charismatic, interesting, fun, witty, and just cool. I can't see why someone wouldn't like Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's one of the best escapist films I've ever seen.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #1052
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division
 
MovieBuff801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Walter's Lab
Posts: 11,780
Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801
Default

Some solid choices; I really need to take another crack at my list.
__________________
AFI Top 100 Movies (1998) Seen: 91 out of 100
MovieBuff801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #1053
Neverending
sex
 
Neverending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 21,153
Default

ya think?
__________________
"Would you like some boob action?"
-Conan O'Brien
July 13, 2004
12:55 AM

"We’re No. 1 in TBS’ key demographic:
People who can’t afford HBO."
- Conan O'Brien
May 18, 2011

"I honestly don't know who gives me a bigger boner:
Zoe Saldana OR Chris Pine. Star Trek Into My Pants!"
- Kevin Smith
February 24, 2013

The Batman Appreciation Thread
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #1054
MasterChief117
The Batman
 
MasterChief117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 13,503
Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117
Default

I want to do a list like this after PG's done with his. Something along the same lines.
__________________
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #1055
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division
 
MovieBuff801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Walter's Lab
Posts: 11,780
Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
ya think?
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


But it won't be in the immediate future.
__________________
AFI Top 100 Movies (1998) Seen: 91 out of 100
MovieBuff801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #1056
Neverending
sex
 
Neverending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 21,153
Default

MovieBuff is never gonna do his film score list. LOL.
__________________
"Would you like some boob action?"
-Conan O'Brien
July 13, 2004
12:55 AM

"We’re No. 1 in TBS’ key demographic:
People who can’t afford HBO."
- Conan O'Brien
May 18, 2011

"I honestly don't know who gives me a bigger boner:
Zoe Saldana OR Chris Pine. Star Trek Into My Pants!"
- Kevin Smith
February 24, 2013

The Batman Appreciation Thread
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #1057
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division
 
MovieBuff801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Walter's Lab
Posts: 11,780
Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
MovieBuff is never gonna do his film score list. LOL.
Damnit.
__________________
AFI Top 100 Movies (1998) Seen: 91 out of 100
MovieBuff801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #1058
MasterChief117
The Batman
 
MasterChief117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 13,503
Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117
Default

My list will be about the movies I grew up watching with my Dad, that were mostly goofy action movies that have aged rather badly.
__________________
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #1059
PG Cooper
Raging Bull
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,054
Default

3. Aliens


A relative new comer making a sequel to a classic horror film and making it an action movie. If something like this were to happen today, film fans would be pissed. But with Aliens, that's exactly what James Cameron did. Turns out he was completely right. Aliens is the kind of film that will thoroughly kick your ass, and you'll love every second of it. The action scenes are as exciting as they came. You've got the first encounter with the xenomorphs, the defense hold up, Ripley storming the alien hive and the final fight with the queen. All these scenes are absolutely badass, and there's also some excellent suspense scenes. Even better is that you actually care about the marines. You want to see them make it out okay. Ripley is probably my favourite aspect of the film. Her character is such an awesome and interesting person, I love it. Top it off with top notch visual effects, an interesting metaphor for the Vietnam war, and some amazing lines ("Game over man, GAME OVER!") and you have yourself an action classic.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


2. The Matrix


The Matrix is a mix of a great science fiction film and a great action film. The first half is mostly science fiction. Yeah, there are some great action scenes in there, such as Trinity's escape from the cops and Agents, and the fight between Neo and Morpheus, but for the most part, it's science fiction. In the first half, we're introduced to the world and the ideas. It's all fascinating and sets up the world well. Then in the second half, the movie drives into action mode. We get the fight between Agent Smith and Morpheus, the lobby shootout, the rooftop shoot out, bullet dodging, an awesome vehicle stunt, and an excellent final fight between Neo and Agent Smith. I also have to give kudos to Hugo Weaving who's Agent Smith is one of my favourite villains. Beyond all that, the movie is just cool. You've got these awesome characters in black coats and sunglasses kicking ass. What more could you ask for?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


1. Terminator 2: Judgement Day


Some may roll there eyes and call this a predictable choice. F*** those people! I don't care if this is a common answer, Terminator 2 is easily my favourite action film. First off, while The Matrix may be cool, it doesn't hold a candle to T2. This movie practically bleeds awesome. The Terminator himself looks badass, then of course there's the image of him on a motorcycle, and the flip he does with the shotgun. How can you not love it? And as far as action goes, this movie has it all. Shoot-outs, explosions, fights, stunts, chases, almost any action desire you have, this movie delivers. The time-travel story works great, and at it's core the film is really about the dangers of nuclear war. The cast here is also great. Schwarzenegger delivers the most iconic performance, and Edward Furlong gives a great breakout performance as the young John Connor. But I think it's Linda Hamilton who steals the show as the tortured and almost insane Sarah Connor. T2 also features a great supporting cast, ground-breaking visual effects, slick cinematography, and strong music. The characters and story come first, and yet the action is still spectacular. Terminator 2 is one of my favourite films of all time, and easily my favourite action film.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #1060
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 70,275
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

Pretty good list. Matrix is a bit high and I dunno about Casino Royale.
__________________
The due date for Round 151 of the CS Film Club is Monday, April 7th, 2014.

59 out of 64 Hugo Award winners completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
What are you trying to prove exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
I have no idea.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #1061
PG Cooper
Raging Bull
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
Pretty good list. Matrix is a bit high and I dunno about Casino Royale.
I love The Matrix...sorry

As for Casino Royale, I needed a Bond film, and it's the best action driven one.
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #1062
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 70,275
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

No it's not.
__________________
The due date for Round 151 of the CS Film Club is Monday, April 7th, 2014.

59 out of 64 Hugo Award winners completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
What are you trying to prove exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
I have no idea.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #1063
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division
 
MovieBuff801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Walter's Lab
Posts: 11,780
Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801
Default

Good list, but sorry, T2 is way too high if you ask me.
__________________
AFI Top 100 Movies (1998) Seen: 91 out of 100
MovieBuff801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #1064
PG Cooper
Raging Bull
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
No it's not.
What would you say is?
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #1065
PG Cooper
Raging Bull
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviebuff801 View Post
Good list, but sorry, T2 is way too high if you ask me.
That is why you fail.
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #1066
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division
 
MovieBuff801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Walter's Lab
Posts: 11,780
Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801
Default

Or is it the other way around?
__________________
AFI Top 100 Movies (1998) Seen: 91 out of 100
MovieBuff801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #1067
PG Cooper
Raging Bull
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviebuff801 View Post
Or is it the other way around?
Nope
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #1068
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division
 
MovieBuff801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Walter's Lab
Posts: 11,780
Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
Nope
Cameron fanboys...
__________________
AFI Top 100 Movies (1998) Seen: 91 out of 100
MovieBuff801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #1069
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 70,275
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

Casino Royale is mostly about a poker game. If you had to put in a represenative to stand for all that James Bond is as an action series, I would have gone with Goldeneye.
__________________
The due date for Round 151 of the CS Film Club is Monday, April 7th, 2014.

59 out of 64 Hugo Award winners completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
What are you trying to prove exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
I have no idea.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #1070
Neverending
sex
 
Neverending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 21,153
Default

The Bond film with the best action scenes is The Spy Who Loved Me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUxpXy1Oot4
__________________
"Would you like some boob action?"
-Conan O'Brien
July 13, 2004
12:55 AM

"We’re No. 1 in TBS’ key demographic:
People who can’t afford HBO."
- Conan O'Brien
May 18, 2011

"I honestly don't know who gives me a bigger boner:
Zoe Saldana OR Chris Pine. Star Trek Into My Pants!"
- Kevin Smith
February 24, 2013

The Batman Appreciation Thread
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #1071
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 70,275
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

And yet you were guarenteed to post that clip.
__________________
The due date for Round 151 of the CS Film Club is Monday, April 7th, 2014.

59 out of 64 Hugo Award winners completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
What are you trying to prove exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
I have no idea.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #1072
MasterChief117
The Batman
 
MasterChief117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 13,503
Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117
Default

I have a bit of free time before bed, I'm going to start my list then, and get it out of the way. Feel free to pick on me, harass me in anyway. Not like you guys won't be tempted to anyways.



Top 10 Movies I Grew Up Watching With My Dad



The importance of my Dad in this list is because most of these movies are completely goofy, and really, really hard to watch, or aged badly.
__________________
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #1073
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 70,275
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

*picks on you*
__________________
The due date for Round 151 of the CS Film Club is Monday, April 7th, 2014.

59 out of 64 Hugo Award winners completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
What are you trying to prove exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
I have no idea.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #1074
MasterChief117
The Batman
 
MasterChief117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 13,503
Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117
Default

10. Demolition Man





This movie was an 80s cliche, filled with everything great about 80s action movies. You had the lines, the hand to hand combat scenes, bad dialogue, over acting and big names. I loved this movie growing up. The futuristic atmosphere made it even better, but now today, it has aged, badly. So much of it is hard to take seriously, and maybe that was the point.



9. Star Trek Generations





I might get excessive flack for this, but growing up, I loved everything about this movie. It was action packed, it was my favorite crew on the big screen. It was awesome, and the effects were so badass. Shatner and Stewart together was like the perfect tandem. Everything you want in a Star Trek movie was here. I loved it. Now I watch it. I hate it. The movie is so stupid, so much is wrong with it from a movie stand point and from a Star Trek Canon stand point. Not to mention, Kirk was an amazing character, so meaningful to the Star Trek universe and he died like a *****.



8. Commando






I've always, always wanted to have live through the gun store scene, stocking up on all those firearms like a badass getting ready for war. This movie was so damn awesome. Everything Arnold did, was just dripping with badassery. Every line he said, his walk, his presence and demeanor was just so damn cool. The dude was a walking Greek God, unable to be stopped by anything and so determined. He held an M60 in one hand, and acted like it was a 9mm, firing it with no remorse. Now watching this movie, it is kinda like the fat kid in the school ground. You can't really make fun of it because it is so OBVIOUSLY over the top, so wrong in so many ways that it is actually entertaining. Whatever the final outcome is, Arnold is still a freaking badass.
__________________
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #1075
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host
 
Doomsday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 12,574
Default

Commando is a movie every boy worth his salt must see before he's 13.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern View Post
note to self: don't forget the G in comingsoon.net :(
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.

Contact Us - ComingSoon.net - Superhero Hype! - Shock Till You Drop - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ComingSoon.net is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. © All Rights Reserved.