The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > FRANCHISES & GENRES > Harry Potter

Old 03-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #101
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Ya know I thought of including that story which I remember pretty well because of the coke incident, and technically I didn't see the whole movie, I went in and watched some other crap as movie like The Hunted or something stupid I dunno, but I went in with some buddies and caught ehhh maybe 45 minutes of the movie. To be honest, that was one of the events that got me on my anti-HP kick, at the time I thought it was just so so stupid based off what I had heard and seen. So I hadn't seen anything close to the entire movie and certainly couldn't tell you one thing about it, but that kid throwing the coke all over everybody...man that was awesome.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #102
Neverending
sex

Too bad that incident occurred 10 years ago. Nowadays someone would record it on their cellphone and upload it to YouTube.
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #103
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

I wonder if Dooms is ever getting back to this. He only has 3 more movies to go.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #104
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Dammit moviebuff! I was gonna jump back into this next week. YOU RUINED EVERYTHING!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #105
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

I don't consider a day successful until I ruin SOMETHING.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #106
Neverending
sex

I'm pretty sure Doomsday forgot this thread existed.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #107
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I don’t really have a whole lot to say on this installment. Not that it was bad,I enjoyed it more than I did the previous film,however this to me seemed to be a bridge movie,one that connects what has been established to the upcoming final chapter. The purpose of the film ultimately seems to be Dumbledore’s ‘plunge,’ but otherwise there isn’t a whole lot more that is revealed or established. No major turn of events or character arc was present,at least none that I felt would warrant its own movie. Only a towards the very end did I feel Harry was in any real danger.

The story itself seemed to focus more on things that I felt didn’t have a whole lot of bearing on the story while only investing the bare minimum on things that are obviously going to be very important down the road. The Horcruxes,which were revealed towards the end of the film, have great significance and will certainly be in play in the next installments. So why keep on with the Half-Blood Prince thread? Harry has a new book with a bunch of spells. So? He wins the FelixFelicis (‘luck of luck’ in Latin) potion because he read the correct formula (again,Harry is always the victor in everything). Big deal. Snape is revealed to be the Half-Blood Prince. Why is that important? The movie itself climaxed with the death of Dumbledore and revealed how to ultimately destroy Voldemort. Why do we need to concern ourselves with the Half-Blood Prince? Don’t we have other things to worry about? Unless the actual title ‘Half-Blood Prince’ has any bearing on why Snape is all of a sudden a turncoat (strong feeling though that there’s a lot more behind that then what we initially saw). I do admire the tone this set which hopefully carries over to the next one. Now the characters really have a purpose other than ‘coming back after summer vacation.’

I didn’t feel as disappointed as I was after the last installment,which I thought took a few steps backward after GoF,but this one didn’t seem to add anything. It was a story that really didn’t need to be told,at least from an immediate standpoint. Maybe more of what was introduced here will play out in Deathly Hallows I & II since I’ve learned now that much of Harry Potter should be viewed from a holistic perspective. It was a good bridge movie and helped draw a line in the sand for what will ultimately be the final showdown. I think my feelings for this film and the others are those of a viewer who has had no interaction with the books,so keep that in mind when breaking down what I’ve said about it,you may have much more insight into the explanation of things than I do.

B so says Doomsday,a solid and entertaining albeit somewhat forgettable entry into the series.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #108
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

"No major character arc?" Malfoy?

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #109
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

But you knew from the first movie that Malfoy was heading in this direction. His secondary character has always been on a collision course with Harry, this was just another step in that direction.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #110
JBond
Beyond

And which direction is that? He had two directions in this movie, that was my point.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #111
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

But he's still a bad guy though isn't he? They even anticipated that he would fail killing Dumbledore. I don't see him turning over a new leaf or anything unless I'm wrong.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #112
JBond
Beyond

I didn't mean that, just that he was conflicted for once. It's not Shakespeare, but I liked that about the movie.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #113
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Half-Blood Prince is a movie whose flaws I can openly acknowledge, but they ultimately don't bother me as much as they do most people. My issue with all the romance, apart from the fact that it's given WAY too much attention, is that I don't like the Ron/Hermione pairing. Just because they bicker all the time, that means they're in love? I hate that kind of romance.

But this movie has one of my favorite scenes of the franchise: the wand farewell to Dumbledore. No dialogue, just emotion and music. I love that.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #114
JBond
Beyond

The last 30-40 minutes of that movie is brilliant, in my mind. One great scene after another.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #115
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

The Ron/Hermione romance makes sense on paper, but in the films it seems forced, like 'well it makes sense so lets get them together' despite the fact that Hermione is way out of Ron's league and lets face it, at their age chicks are more into guys for their looks and what sports they play. Personality will play into it in 15 years or so.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #116
JBond
Beyond

Eh, the worst of it is yet to come.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #117
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
The Ron/Hermione romance makes sense on paper
No... it doesn't. Not only is Harry Potter a huge wimp, but he doesn't get to f--k the hot chick. Ridiculous.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #118
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
Eh, the worst of it is yet to come.
Unfortunately, yes.

Harry/Hermione just always made more sense to me, despite Rowling's constant claims to the contrary.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #119
JBond
Beyond

What's funny is, I didn't even care until Deathly Hallows Part 1. That's when I noticed it didn't make any sense and they had it backwards.

We can trash it more once Dooms watches it.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #120
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Oh, believe me, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #121
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Yeah, its more like Rowling was making a statement by putting them together. But she is more suited with Harry.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #122
Deexan
Reflektor

You've got to read between the lines. It's all about the ménage.

My Twitter
My Facebook
Deexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #123
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I

I’m gonna start this off in a not-so-professional way and lead with something that is really beginning to irk me, and I alluded to it in previous reviews; I’m getting a bit weary of killing off past characters just for the sake of killing them off, which is what it seems like they’re doing. I can understand the motivation behind Dumbledore’s death and the effect it had on the directions the characters move, but now it seems like they’re taking characters previously introduced and killing them for shock value. Again, not sure how it plays out in the books but what purpose does killing off Brendan Gleeson serve? The Minister of Magic? Dobby the house elf? You could just have easily written them out of the rest of the film, or not written them in to begin with. The reason it bothers me is because they’re deliberately and very noticeably trying to yank at my sentimentality and it’s having the opposite effect, it’s making me angry. I get it, the Death Eaters are bad guys, you don’t need to have them wipe out the entire secondary Harry Potter cast list to demonstrate it. It’s annoying and rather insulting.

Speaking of killing, I just can’t make sense of this false sense of righteousness that the good wizards ascribe to, namely not using the Unforgivable spells like the ‘abra cadavra (sp?)’ death spell. I can understand not using it at all, but when you’re facing a foe who does nothing but continuously and frequently cast the death spell killing everyone then you need to start justifying self defense and fight fire with fire. It’s obvious these Death Eaters aren’t playing the standard wizard rules of war, so why do you keep doing it? If someone had killed Bellatrix then EVERYBODY would still be alive. I don’t know how they’ll resolve it in the end but it’s another thing that’s driving me crazy, just these nonsensical rules that turn the protagonists into victims when anyone else with any common sense would have noticed that those rules are getting people killed and thrown them away with yesterday’s garbage. Lets grow a pair, Hogwarts, and start standing up for yourselves.

Anyways, about the movie. Those were really the only two things that were wearing me down, otherwise I had a really good time watching this one. I think it was a good call splitting this up into two films because this entry out of all of them deserves to have the types of details included, the likes of which may have been omitted in the other film adaptations. Their infiltration of the Ministry of Magic and their escape from Malfoy’s castle to me were highlights of the movie, but it does a good job at sustaining suspense throughout. It’s tough to really put this entire thing in perspective since I’m basically writing a review after watching half of a movie,but I’m pretty anxious to see how it all plays out. It left off I think at the perfect place, showing a despondent Harry and friends while revealing that he’s going up against a seemingly all powerful Voldemort. And I can’t remember the last time I so wanted two baddies to bite the dust while watching Lucius and Draco Malfoy. Those two may be a couple of my favorite characters in the series, they’re portrayed very well. All in all it’s a very good start to the resolution of this series. Part II has a lot to live up to. Other than the needless deaths and being a little long winded at times (par for the course with these movies though) it’s better than most of the other installments in the series.

But did anyone else laugh at the reeeeally awkward and strange dance that Harry and Hermione have in their tent? You’d think with him being the main character and all she’d be into him rather than the awkward ginger. And there’s also something very familiar about that Horcrux bringing out the worst in people before destroying it, I just can’t put my finger on it. *cough*lordoftherings*cough*

B+ so says Doomsday,although I think at the end of the day I’ll probably judge this and Part II as one.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #124
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

completely agree about their moral stance on magic. really makes the whole light and dark/good and evil thing com together, which i always hate in movies, specifically fantasy/sci fi flicks. there are no good and evil people in the world, just people with different motivations.

i remember stifling laughs when dobby was killed and some middle aged women next to me in the theater started crying.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #125
Hollywood
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinTard View Post
completely agree about their moral stance on magic. really makes the whole light and dark/good and evil thing com together, which i always hate in movies, specifically fantasy/sci fi flicks. there are no good and evil people in the world, just people with different motivations.

i remember stifling laughs when dobby was killed and some middle aged women next to me in the theater started crying.
lol happened to me to, Some random lady in theater started crying. Kind of awkward hearing that in the theater.