The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > General Movies

Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #176
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

In my view its a good spin off. But least with the Trailer you get a hint that the Blackpearl was not forgotten. I Am hoping if are more we get Red Beard as a Pirate too. Or go all disney and meet Captain Flint. I always felt should be a different Villain each film. Even though liked Davy Jones they just never topped Barbossa as a Villain.

But with McShane they have and if he is goo maybe should be back for more but think to keep it fresh for another movie you simply have a new villain
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #177
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

What about Captain Nemo as a future villian?
Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #178
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

No for he had the whole Submarine deal. It needs to be a mean pirate. Now the ghost of Captain Morgan be cool
Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #179
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVader 2004 View Post
No for he had the whole Submarine deal. It needs to be a mean pirate. Now the ghost of Captain Morgan be cool
I guess.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #180
Brenzi51
Remember My Predicessors

Send a message via AIM to Brenzi51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Prince View Post
What about Captain Nemo as a future villian?
I like the idea of throwing in someone who is not a pirate for that villain role. I understand that it's called "Pirates of the Caribbean", but a new pirate each film will get old fast.

I'm saying all of this with the assumption that more will be made if this is a hit.
Marlon Brando (Terry): You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been someone Charley, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. I'm a bum. It was you, Charley.
Brenzi51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #181
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenzi51 View Post
I like the idea of throwing in someone who is not a pirate for that villain role. I understand that it's called "Pirates of the Caribbean", but a new pirate each film will get old fast.

I'm saying all of this with the assumption that more will be made if this is a hit.
So if its not a pirate then what would it be?
Old 03-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #182
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

How about a heathen God of some kind like Neptune since your involving mermaids in this movie. I'd never want to see Tia Dalma again unless make her a better looking god then a nasty looking bad cgi giant who has crabs
Old 03-26-2011, 04:21 AM   #183
Brenzi51
Remember My Predicessors

Send a message via AIM to Brenzi51

Quote:
So if its not a pirate then what would it be?
I'm not sure. They should start to look at some land options rather than being exclusive to the ocean. I understand that this is about Pirates and their ships, but they need to open Jack up to more possibilities. I feel like the entire 3rd film took place on a boat. With that said, the new trailers make it seem like a lot happens in London and other locations.

Another idea could be Atlantis. I feel like Atlantis is thrown out there for every film as an idea, but nothing ever comes of it. There could be some potential for that in this franchise.
Marlon Brando (Terry): You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been someone Charley, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. I'm a bum. It was you, Charley.
Brenzi51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #184
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Well could include Atlantis in a sequel when you include mermaids in this.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #185
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenzi51 View Post
I'm not sure. They should start to look at some land options rather than being exclusive to the ocean. I understand that this is about Pirates and their ships, but they need to open Jack up to more possibilities. I feel like the entire 3rd film took place on a boat. With that said, the new trailers make it seem like a lot happens in London and other locations.

Another idea could be Atlantis. I feel like Atlantis is thrown out there for every film as an idea, but nothing ever comes of it. There could be some potential for that in this franchise.
Yeah they could use Gods like RedRaver said.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #186
Sean B.
Movie Fanatic

Quote:
Yes this definately looks better then Pirates 3 at least. To be honest Pirates 1 and 2 were very good if ask me while 3 was just well not sure what but something was missing.
This looks as interesting story wise as The First film. I am most interested in seeing the pearl as an extention of Blackbeards evil. Because its appears it more or less reflects the captain of the ships personality
Yes, Pirates 3 seemed very bland and it still does. But, it doesn't look like Pirates 4 will have that problem.
Sean B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #187
Sean B.
Movie Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRUs View Post
I'm still kind of on the fence about this one. I dont think it will be bad, but I just have doubts about it. It reminds me too much of a bad spin-off.
ViRUs,
This is more of a sequel, then it is as a spin-off .
Old 04-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #188
Sean B.
Movie Fanatic

Quote:
That might be good.

Last edited by Sean B.; 02-09-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #189
EdReedFan20
Director

The movie is currently at 63% on Rotten Tomatoes (5 "fresh", 3 "rotten"). Currently the two "top" critics have given "fresh" reviews. Many of the reviews are saying it's as fun as the original.
EdReedFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #190
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

One week!!! Excited!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #191
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

58% on RT. Still 2/0 with Top Critics. That's good news for now.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:58 AM   #192
Neverending
sex

This is the type of film where the critics don't really matter. Then again, that's usually the case with summer blockbusters.
12:55 AM

^ 10 years. LOL.
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #193
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

If it's better than AWO then we'll be ok. Then again... that's not necessarily saying much. That movie sucked.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #194
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

I believe you mean AWE.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #195
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

It was indeed better then AWE.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #196
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Try checking out the review thread for the movie.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #197
The Thunder
Grip

Default Some thoughts about "On Stranger Tides" - SPOILERS

Well, here's what I thought - SPOILERS ahead!

While I didn't hate the movie, I sure didn't love it either. There were some familiar elements, and plenty of new ideas; there was actually quite a bit of potential, but ultimately, I walked out feeling disappointed. The whole time I was waiting for it to start building to a climax, but it never did - it just went. Fortunately, I didn't go in with very high hopes, but I really hoped it would have been better. So, here is a list of issues I had with this film:

1. Blackbeard the Magician. How does he have the ability to control ropes and rigging with his sword, and capture ships in bottles? Apparently, he also dabbles in voodoo? NONE of this was explained, and just seemed silly. I realize they were trying to keep it in the same vein of the previous films with a supernatural villain, but a little explanation would have helped. Also, with the historical reputation Blackbeard had, this version just plain didn't seem very frightening.
2. Zombies. Why? Other than mentioning the word "zombie-fied", and one occasion where a guy pulled a sword out of his chest, they could have just been a few tough dudes - say, PIRATES, for example. These four guys being zombies served absolutely no purpose.
3. I didn't care at all for any of the supporting cast, especially the ones we were supposed to. The missionary character was mostly just annoying, and his "romance" with the mermaid was no deeper than a Jr. High crush.
4. Speaking of the cleric, all through the film, he shows commitment to his faith, boldly standing up to Blackbeard, preaching with determination and purpose; however, at the end of the movie, he tells his girlfish, "I was lost and flailing, but...you complete me" (paraphrased). Inconsistent, sloppy writing.
5. Jack leads Blackbeard and his crew to the Fountain of Youth using his trusty compass, which shows him what he wants most in the world. However, at the beginning of the film, we learn that Jack had given up searching for the Fountain because he couldn't find it. Uh...why not? He had a map, and a magic compass (which I guess just didn't work then). More inconsistent, poor writing.
6. The writers seem to have equated the Fountain of Youth with the Fountain of Invincibility. According to legend, the Fountain of Youth will keep one from aging, but not dying. Things like drowning or being shot or stabbed could still be of some concern. But not, it seems, for the characters in this film! In the opening scene, two fishermen pull a man out of the ocean in their fishing nets. Expecting a drowned man, they are shocked when he pops up alive. Similarly, Blackbeard is searching for the Fountain to save him from a prophesy which says he will be killed by a one-legged man. Drink water = stop aging, NOT drink water = can't be killed by one-legged man. The poor writing continues!
6. Gratuitous 3D gags. COMPLETELY POINTLESS snake-toward-the-audience-gag just made me want to bang my head against a wall. The others were forgivable, but still cliche (sword-toward-the-audience, skeleton hand-toward-the-audience).
8. How does everyone know where Ponce de Leon's ship is? So they need the two chalices to perform the ritual...no one knows for sure, but everyone just assumes they are on Mr. de Leon's ship. But how does everyone know where it is? Jack finds the ship by once again using his magic compass. He climbs in, only to find Barbossa inside. How did Barbossa know where it was? Eh, details. They then discover the Spaniards had already beaten them to the punch and taken the chalises! But how did the Spaniards know? The only reasonable explanation is that it was written in the journal the invincible man had in the beginning. "Dear diary, today we were shipwrecked on top of a mountain. But we DID find that fountain we were looking for. I used my favorite cups to drink some water, which, as it turns out, killed one of my crew. Oops! Maybe it was because I added a mermaid tear to mine for flavor, and he didn't. Who knows? And just to make things more difficult for anyone who may follow after us, I decided that they HAVE to use my cups too - but I'm going to hide them under my bed! Suckers! - P.D.L.". Okay, scratch that - there IS NO reasonable explanation.
9. Jack's new lucky charm that hangs over his bandana is immobile. In the previous films, his "Piece of Eight" (as we learn it is in "At World's End"), swings and sways freely, but not his new one! This one stays put even when Jack is laying on his side! Maybe after Barbossa cut off the last one, Jack decided to thread the beads with a safety pin instead of fishing line.
10. While Jack is attempting to escape the King's palace, he passes a guard who subsequently lays his pistol and sword down on a table in order to pursue Jack?!?!?!?!?! Of course, Jack is hiding behind the table, and takes the weapons. AHHHHHHHH! My brain hurts!
11. Spider-Vampire-Jellyfish-Mermaids. Mermaids with a jellyfish-sack around them when in the water (which just isn't there when out of the water), who grow vampire-fangs in order to eat men, and can shoot webs like Spider-man. Scheduling lobotomy...
12. What the heck was the green bird-thing flying around the fountain?
13. Uncharacteristic moments for Jack. While in Ponce de Leon's ship, he too easily gave up the prospect of taking any treasure. Also, at the end, he made no effort to use the fountain for himself. In the end of "At World's End", Jack struggled with whether to stab the heart or use it to save Will. Here, he goes for saving Angelica without a thought of himself (only to maroon her immediately after). Just seemed like Jack (who's always looking out for Jack first) didn't even consider himself in this situation.
14. There was a scene in the trailer where Jack is slapped by a mermaid (a la all the previous films). It was cut from the film, but I think it would have been a fun nod to what has come before.

(Speaking of "At World's End", it's always bothered me why the crew cuts out Will's heart when he becomes captain. Davy Jones didn't need to put his heart in the chest in order to be captain. He was ALREADY captain of the Flying Dutchman, ferrying the souls of the dead for ten years, when Calypso didn't show up to meet him when he could be on land - and THEN, he cut out his heart so he didn't have to feel the pain. Whoops. Seems like the writing's been a problem for a while!)

I DID like the reference to the ride with Ponce de Leon as the dead pirate captain sitting in bed with a magnifying glass.
I DID like the almost kissing, then abruptly-cut music, turn-and-go at the end.
And of course, I once again loved Geoffry Rush as Barbossa. I wouldn't be surprised if he loses a hand in the next installment and gets a hook. He seems to quickly be turning into the "quintessential pirate".

So, let me know what you guys thought!
The Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #198
auvadresses
Banned Status

I watch these movies just because of Johnny Depp.
auvadresses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #199
Sean B.
Movie Fanatic

Quote:
It was indeed better then AWE.
I agree. It certainly was.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #200
Sean B.
Movie Fanatic

Quote:
Hey, that's a cool idea ! . Captain Morgan in a Pirates of the Caribbean movie . Although, i wonder if Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer would have that happen .