PDA

View Full Version : Smallville Season Five on DVD

Tornado
04-20-2006, 03:58 PM
While the season isn't over yet, details are starting to emerge about the DVD set:

Season 5 DVD "Splinter" Commentary Revealed!
A post on the KryptonSite Forum has revealed one of the commentaries for the upcoming Smallville Season 5 DVD set, likely due out sometime around September 2006.

Being recorded this week is a commentary for the episode "Splinter" featuring writer Steven S. DeKnight, actor James Marsters, and director James Marshall.

Stay tuned for more DVD information as it becomes available!

----------------------

That's good news, I personally feel this episode is a great one to have a commentary on, as it's the first time Clark is on silver-K. As for the episodes on the discs, if it follows the other seasons with 22 episodes then it will go as follows:

DISC ONE
501 - Arrival
502 - Mortal
502 - Hidden
504 - Aqua

DISC TWO
505 - Thirst
506 - Exposed
507 - Splinter
508 - Solitude

DISC THREE
509 - Lexmas
510 - Fanatic
511 - Lockdown
512 - Reckoning

DISC FOUR
513 - Vengeance
514 - Tomb
515 - Cyborg
516 - Hypnotic

DISC FIVE
517 - Void
518 - Fragile
519 - Mercy

DISC SIX
520 - Fade
521 - Oracle
522 - Vessel

As far as the cover goes, I'm guessing it'll be either Clark or Clark and Chloe in front of the Fortress of Solitude with a light blue theme. As for the discs, I'm guessing Clark, Lana, Lex, Lois, Chloe, and the Kents in that order. I'd like to see Professor Fine on a disc, but I'd bet against it.

boydston_14
04-20-2006, 05:56 PM
I hope we get the cover art soon. Good news though!

SJBKAT
04-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Good news indeed. I haven't seen a single episode since Jonathon Kent passed away due to my new schedule here at the old job. The DVD is all I have left to watch the remainder of the season. I can't wait.

Tornado
05-01-2006, 08:19 PM
I really wish I could pinpoint exactly where I heard this (this isn't a rumor or anything) just so I'd have proof, but Steven S. DeKnight has stated that he has recently finished another commentary on 505 - Thirst with I believe (again, memory is fading) Al Gough, Miles Millar, and Jeannot Szwarc (director).

I'm not sure how I feel about this to be honest. I'm all for having as many commentaries as possible, but if having this one takes the place of having one on an important episode such as 501 - Arrival, 503 - Hidden, or 512 - Reckoning (and I'm guessing, 521 - Oracle and 522 - Vessel will be joining this group as well), I won't be pleased.

Oh well, just glad to hear progress is being made I suppose.

boydston_14
05-02-2006, 08:22 PM
I want to see Lois on a disc, but I'm not sure we will. Also, would JK be on Disc six with Martha? And my guess for the DVD cover's color would be red, though that's just something I would want. I also like the light blue/fortress theme.

Tornado
05-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Well, if they go strictly by importance in the show this season, Lois won't see the cover of a disc (in this case; Clark, Lana, Lex, Chloe, Lionel, and the Kents IMO). But if they go by character popularity which is what they typically do, it might happen (here; Clark, Lana, Lex, Chloe, Lois, and the Kents IMO).

If the Kents do get a disc (which, I'm sure will happen), Jonathan better be on it. I don't care if he was only alive for 12 of the episodes, he's been in 15 of them (counting 521 - Oracle), not to mention he's been guiding Clark into becoming Superman for the past five seasons. It'd be a real shame if he wasn't on a disc.

boydston_14
05-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Okay, I think JK should be on a disc too, but I'm jus tnot sure if they will do it. Also, I hope Lois is on a disc, but I think Lionel would get it instead. After all, he was on disc five of season four, and I dont think they'll change that until he is written off the show (which may happen next season is my guess).

Tornado
05-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Personally, I would definitely not be against multiple characters being on a disc (such as how the Kents are done). The way I'd do it would be:

Disc One - Clark
Disc Two - Lana
Disc Three - Lex
Disc Four - Chloe and Lois
Disc Five - Lionel and Brainiac
Disc Six - Jonathan and Martha Kent

Out of curiosity boydston (since you seem to be the only one who cares at the moment ;)), what has been your favorite season of the show?

boydston_14
05-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Season 3, though season 5 has had a lot of good moments, it's also had a few bad ones (Thirst, Exposed, Tomb). Your's?

Tornado
05-02-2006, 09:26 PM
I'll have to see the rest of S5 before I can declare my absolute favorite, but right now it's S3, and I doubt the two episodes left can change that.

boydston_14
05-03-2006, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I'd agree, but 'Oracle' and 'Vessel' look pretty good. The only way my idea of them would change is if Lex is somehow Zod or something like that.

insaneMoViEgoer
05-03-2006, 11:14 AM
i doubt Lex would be Zod. He gets his powers in the next episode, most likely the end of it, and Brainiacs demands in the finale is to release Zod.

dvdfan
05-03-2006, 05:21 PM
I haven't watched any of the Season 5 episodes yet(I'm waiting to buy it on DVD). But I am up to date on the animated series on Cartoon Network Justice League. And saying that,Isn't Zod the big ass ape that uses mind control? Who plays Brainiac? And, How many episodes of Smallville Season 5 have aired?

boydston_14
05-03-2006, 06:31 PM
i doubt Lex would be Zod. He gets his powers in the next episode, most likely the end of it, and Brainiacs demands in the finale is to release Zod.

Woah, I guess i never noticed that before. Thanks insane!

Tornado
05-03-2006, 08:52 PM
And saying that,Isn't Zod the big ass ape that uses mind control?

I have no idea, I've never watched that show. But going on general principle, I would seriously doubt it. If Zod actually is the "big ass ape", they're really ****ing around with the character.

Who plays Brainiac?

James Marsters, of Buffy and Angel fame. And he plays the character quite well in my opinion.

And, How many episodes of Smallville Season 5 have aired?

Have aired? Twenty as of right now. But episode 21 airs tomorrow night, and 22 (the season finale) airs next week.

insaneMoViEgoer
05-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Woah, I guess i never noticed that before. Thanks insane!
sorry to burst your bubble, but with the latest "Project Mercury" blog post, i think he will in fact be possesed or whatever.

http://cdn.digitalcity.com/ch_tv/projectmercury_kawatche2.jpg

im hoping he just gets the powers and not be possesed, but those chances are very slim.

Mr Flibble
05-04-2006, 08:19 AM
I haven't watched any of the Season 5 episodes yet(I'm waiting to buy it on DVD). But I am up to date on the animated series on Cartoon Network Justice League. And saying that,Isn't Zod the big ass ape that uses mind control?
No that's Grodd ;) :D

I don't know about in the comics or the cartoon or smallville, but "General" Zod is actually leader of the 3 villians in superman 2!

dvdfan
05-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks Tornado and Mr. Flibble. You guys have really been very helpful. I think it's really cool that James Marsters is playing Brainiac because he played Spike on Buffy and Angel so well, I think it will be extrmely enjoyable to see James Marsters expand his horizons. When anyone finds out the exact date of when Smallville Season Five is coming out on DVD, I'd really like it so I can figure out how much many to save up and my plan for saving. Thanks everyone.

Tornado
05-04-2006, 05:21 PM
When anyone finds out the exact date of when Smallville Season Five is coming out on DVD, I'd really like it so I can figure out how much many to save up and my plan for saving.

An exact date isn't known yet, but since you're in the US you can figure on September, or possibly early October.

boydston_14
05-06-2006, 07:25 PM
When do you think we'll see the cover art?

the elmo zombie
05-06-2006, 07:50 PM
around august probably

boydston_14
05-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Crap, I was hoping sometime like July. Ah well, I guess I can wait.

boydston_14
05-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Okay, I just read something on the K-Site boards about the release date of teh DVD being August 29. I'm not sure, but it could be right.

Tornado
05-07-2006, 10:17 AM
From K-Site:

Season 5 DVD Release Date?
POSTED 5-6-06

We have learned what might be the release date for the Season Five DVD of Smallville. However, the date is not yet confirmed by official sources so please don't get upset if it is wrong.

The date we are hearing is August 29, 2006 - just in time for everyone to get caught up before Season Six begins on the new CW network!

All we know about this set so far is that it will, of course, include all 22 episodes from the show's fifth season. Also on the set will be:

* Vengeance Chronicles "webisodes" starring Allison Mack as Chloe Sullivan and Denise Quinones as Andrea Rojas, the Angel of Vengeance
* Commentary on the episode "Thirst" with executive producers Alfred Gough, Miles Millar, Ken Horton, and producer Steve DeKnight
* Commentary on the episode "Splinter" with writer Steve DeKnight, actor James Marsters (Prof. Fine), and director James Marshall

boydston_14
05-07-2006, 12:49 PM
I really hope it is August 29, that would be cool. Right after I get back to school from summer break.

Tornado
05-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I'm really hoping for the 29th as well, as that would be at least a week before college would start up for me, so I'd be able to absorb everything on the discs before then.

boydston_14
05-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I would actually have just started my sphmore year at high school just two or so weeks before the DVD comes out, so I'm glad it's coming out then (because I know we'll never see a Smallville DVD released over the summer for me).

Tornado
05-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I would actually have just started my sphmore year at high school just two or so weeks before the DVD comes out, so I'm glad it's coming out then (because I know we'll never see a Smallville DVD released over the summer for me).

Damn, out of curiosity when does your summer start?

Tornado
05-07-2006, 03:41 PM
The set is up for pre-orders on Amazon in the UK if anybody is interested. No word on pre-orders for the US yet.

boydston_14
05-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Damn, out of curiosity when does your summer start?

In just about two weeks and I'm out of school.

dvdfan
05-08-2006, 04:13 PM
It's messed up that you get out of school in two weeks, I get out of schol in 4 weeks.

boydston_14
05-08-2006, 04:50 PM
It's messed up that you get out of school in two weeks, I get out of schol in 4 weeks.

Well, we'll restart in early to mid-August.

Tornado
05-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Just to spark some conversation, anybody have any input as to what they think the final cover may look like? It all boils down to what feel they're trying to pass off for the reason, but I'm guessing it'll be one of these, or something similar anyway:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/theanomaly2/395bdbce.jpg

(without the text, it could easily cater to a red color scheme)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/theanomaly2/c0c81af8.jpg

(same deal as the last one, but a light blue would suit this better)

boydston_14
05-08-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm gonna go with Tom from the reckoning poster, but with someone else on the cover. After all, after the first 2 seasons, the DVD covers have had Clark with somebody else (Lana and Lex- season 3, Lois-season 4).

Tornado
05-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah, Chloe in the background there would be neat. Although, I'm still pulling for the FOS on the cover along with Clark and Chloe.

boydston_14
05-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Yeah, Chloe in the background there would be neat. Although, I'm still pulling for the FOS on the cover along with Clark and Chloe.

Actually, I'd ratehr they had Jonathan Kent on the cover. Just my wish, though, because it's about time he had his time to shine. I'm thinking him on the right, Clark in the middle, and Lionel Luthor on the left. Or, if not that, have Brainiac and/or Chloe.

Tornado
05-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Eh, I'd rather not see Jonathan on a cover. He's a great character and all, but this season wouldn't be the best for him to be on a cover. Season 1 would have been his best bet in my opinion.

boydston_14
05-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Eh, I'd rather not see Jonathan on a cover. He's a great character and all, but this season wouldn't be the best for him to be on a cover. Season 1 would have been his best bet in my opinion.

Yeah, but what about Brainiac on the cover?

Tornado
05-08-2006, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't be against Milton being on the cover, but I truly do believe it should be Clark and Chloe by themselves. One of the few completely constant, unchanging, and important ideas throughout this season was their friendship, and I feel that deserves to be recognized by the folks in marketing.

boydston_14
05-08-2006, 09:08 PM
...and Brainiac too. :P

insaneMoViEgoer
05-08-2006, 09:10 PM
if they ever call him that on the show...

boydston_14
05-08-2006, 09:33 PM
if they ever call him that on the show...
...Well, Milton Fine anyways...

Tornado
05-09-2006, 06:30 AM
...and Brainiac too. :P

Not for me. Just Clark and Chloe. While Fine may be featured prominently in the finale, he just hasn't been around enough this season for a cover in my opinion.

Alien
05-09-2006, 09:05 AM
As far as the cover goes, I'm guessing it'll be either Clark or Clark and Chloe in front of the Fortress of Solitude with a light blue theme. As for the discs, I'm guessing Clark, Lana, Lex, Lois, Chloe, and the Kents in that order. I'd like to see Professor Fine on a disc, but I'd bet against it.
I'd like to see the disk covers be something like, Clark, Lana, Lex & Lionel, Lois & Chloe, the Kents and Professor Fine but that's not likely, you've probablly got it right.

the elmo zombie
05-09-2006, 09:31 AM
im thinking clark and lionel will be on the cover with the fortress in the background

the elmo zombie
05-09-2006, 09:54 AM
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3108/season59gs.jpg

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1531/season5frontdvd6aq.jpg

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1600/s5dvd2li.gif

fanart i found

Tornado
05-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I saw those at K-Site a while back. I'm not a fan at all of the last two, but the first one isn't too bad. I've got a lot of minor nit-picks with it, but if they went with something like that I wouldn't be unhappy.

boydston_14
05-09-2006, 05:15 PM
I can see something like the first one being done, but the other two: no. And I saw those over at K-site too, over in the forums. I like some of the stuff they got over there, really cool.

Alien
05-10-2006, 11:31 AM
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3108/season59gs.jpg
The looks really good but doesn't fit the art of the last 4 seasons.

I also found this on Amazon.co.uk, Smallville - The Complete Season 5 - (DVD - August 28, 2006) Our Price: 42.74. I think I'll put my order in now :csgrin: :alien: :D :csgrin: :alien: :D

Tornado
05-10-2006, 03:44 PM
The looks really good but doesn't fit the art of the last 4 seasons.

Right. To match, they'd have to change:

- "The Complete Fifth Season" would need to be a goldish color
- "The WB Presents" would need to be red
- "Smallville" (side angled) would need to be straight on the top, and red
- the "5" on the side would need to be a blue shade as opposed to green
- "Season" would need to be smaller and gold
- "The Complete Fifth Season" (side of the box) would need to be gold
- "Smallville" (side of the box) would again need to be straight on the top, and white in color
- various logos would need to be added

But still, it's a good job (aside from Chloe being very low which looks very awkward on the side of the box, and that's a promo pic of Clark from S4). ;)

Tolkien
05-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Why does that picture look sooooo fake to me? I mean, those two pictures of Tom and Allison are promo pix from the first and fourth seasons. They'd never put old pictures on a new dvd set. So I'm guessing some fan made it and tried to pass it off as a real one.

boydston_14
05-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Why does that picture look sooooo fake to me? I mean, those two pictures of Tom and Allison are promo pix from the first and fourth seasons. They'd never put old pictures on a new dvd set. So I'm guessing some fan made it and tried to pass it off as a real one.

No, as we siad, there on K-site on a page where people are making their own ideas of what the cover should look like.

Tornado
05-10-2006, 06:46 PM
I mean, those two pictures of Tom and Allison are promo pix from the first and fourth seasons.

Hmm... no, I don't think so. Tom's is from S4 (positive of it, it's from some of the posters with Lois for 401 - Crusade) and Allison's is from S4 as well (it's just a promo pic for the season).

Tornado
05-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Well, after seeing the season finale, I'm going to be kind of ticked if we don't get a commentary on it with Gough and Millar, and then Tom, Michael, and Allison as well preferably.

dvdfan
05-18-2006, 10:07 AM
I think the cover with Clark and Cloey is great except for the color. The color just doesn't fit in with all the other 4 Smallville Season Sets.

boydston_14
05-19-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm thinking now that the DVD cover will be red (just like the main color of the opening credits this season, and it's also one of the primary or Superman colors), and it would be pretty cool.

Tornado
05-24-2006, 06:24 AM
Who's On The Cover Of The Season 5 DVD?
POSTED 5-24-06

Every year, fans are curious as to who will appear with Tom Welling on the covers of the annual Smallville DVD box set.

We're hearing some buzz (but no official confirmation) that appearing with Clark Kent on the Season 5 DVD cover will be Lex Luthor (Michael Rosenbaum).

Hopefully Warner Home Video will release that cover art and formally announce a release date soon. Right now it's looking like August 29, 2006 - though it could be some time in September.

---------------------

Hmm... oh well. Lex is good too. I'm still hoping for Chloe though as well.

boydston_14
05-24-2006, 07:22 PM
I was hoping for Milton Fine, Lionel or Jonathan. I wonder what color the box will be this time around.

WuTical
05-31-2006, 03:15 PM
THE REAL COVER

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/SmallvilleSeason5.jpg

RELEASE DATE: 9/12/06

Tornado
05-31-2006, 03:41 PM
Yep, just saw that. The release date isn't surprising, I figured it wouldn't be 8/29 like originally announced. What I am kind of surprised about though, is the color of the box. That faded red/violet looks kind of weak compared to the season, not to mention that we've already got a similar color in S3's purple.

Oh well, it's the discs that matter.

Tornado
05-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Bigger image:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/theanomaly2/27a72cdb.jpg

--------------------------

I must say, I am a little disappointed at not only the lack of Chloe (honestly, this was probably her best shot at a cover, but at least she'll have a disc) but also the lack of the FOS on the front (although, the Daily Planet and Metropolis was almost certainly shown more than the FOS was, so I can understand that). Still though, I'm happy with it.

Spirited Away
05-31-2006, 06:42 PM
There's no longer "The WB Presents". I guess rather than giving CBS/UPN 50% cred, they've just scrapped the phrase all together.

Tornado
05-31-2006, 06:49 PM
There's no longer "The WB Presents". I guess rather than giving CBS/UPN 50% cred, they've just scrapped the phrase all together.

I noticed that too. It's kind of surprising in my opinion that they would get rid of it altogether. They shouldn't have to tag on the CW title yet as the entirety of Season Five was produced solely by the WB.

Alien
06-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Yep, just saw that. The release date isn't surprising, I figured it wouldn't be 8/29 like originally announced. What I am kind of surprised about though, is the color of the box. That faded red/violet looks kind of weak compared to the season, not to mention that we've already got a similar color in S3's purple.
I was thinking it was similar to the colour of Season 1's Red/Orange spine.There's no longer "The WB Presents". I guess rather than giving CBS/UPN 50% cred, they've just scrapped the phrase all together.
Seasons 3 & 4 are different from 1 & 2 in that the logo on the spine is smaller and (in the UK at least) the ratings are bigger. Small differences are to be expected.

Tornado
06-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Further Details:
Warner Home Video has announced the fifth season of Smallville which stars Tom Welling. The six-disc package will be available to own from the 12th September, and should retail at around $59.98. Each of the 22 episodes will be presented in anamorphic widescreen, along with English Dolby Surround tracks. Extras will include audio commentaries on two episodes, a Smallville’s 100th episode: The Making of a Milestone featurette, unaired scenes, and a Vengeance Chronicles Webisode Gallery.

----------------------------

I'm looking forward to the deleted scenes and the 100th episode featurette, but only two commentaries (on 505 - Thirst and 507 - Splinter at that)? That really sucks. I was hoping for commentaries on 501 and 522 also at least.

Alien
06-06-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm looking forward to the deleted scenes and the 100th episode featurette, but only two commentaries (on 505 - Thirst and 507 - Splinter at that)? That really sucks. I was hoping for commentaries on 501 and 522 also at least.
I can't believe I'm saying this but the BBC have got the right idea. Both Life on Mars Seaon 1 and Doctor Who (2005) Season 1 have commentaries on every epidose and great extras. I hate how the US shows I own have so few commentaries.

boydston_14
06-11-2006, 02:02 AM
Okay, since I haven't been on since May: I love that cover! Also, I was totally right about the spine being red! I finally got something right.

Tornado
06-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Amazon has different coverart up. The only difference is a blue background instead of the gold. Personally, I hope their's is wrong, because I prefer the gold:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000G1R4SO.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V66616478_.jpg

Alien
06-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Amazon has different coverart up. The only difference is a blue background instead of the gold. Personally, I hope their's is wrong, because I prefer the gold:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000G1R4SO.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V66616478_.jpg
That's a hard call. The blue does make the spine and Clark stand out more but the yellow/gold does make the pic look a wee bit nicer as a whole. I think I like the Amazon pic better, Clark chould stand out more with his red jacket on.

Tornado
06-13-2006, 10:30 PM
According to K-Site, the blue one that I recently posted is the new, revised version.

boydston_14
06-13-2006, 10:34 PM
I like the blue one better. It gives it the darker feel that this season has really had more than any other.

boydston_14
06-13-2006, 11:55 PM
I almost laughed just a minute ago when I saw the fifth season set on walmart.com. it has the rating of the set down as R.

Tornado
06-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Back-cover art for S5 on DVD:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/theanomaly2/d830439a.jpg

-----------------

Neat.

boydston_14
06-22-2006, 04:03 PM
I was hoping for some Brainiac on at least the back cover. Ah well, I guess it's pretty cool...

Tornado
06-26-2006, 10:14 AM
All right, new box picture up at Amazon:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/theanomaly2/aa091140.jpg

With this, we can confirm a few of the disc covers. One will obviously be Clark, two is Lana, three will be Lex, four could be either Lois or Chloe, no idea about five, and six has at least Martha on it (probably Jonathan as well).

boydston_14
06-26-2006, 10:36 AM
When do you think we'll get a clear picture of what the discs look like?

roboxeno
07-10-2006, 04:25 PM
when it gets closer to the date

boydston_14
07-12-2006, 01:13 AM
^Yeah, I guess so. Nice to see this thread's been revived.

dvdfan
08-06-2006, 04:19 PM
I love Smallville. I have already pre-ordered this DVD from amazon.

Tornado
08-25-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't plan on pre-ordering it, mainly because I'd guess that Target or Best Buy will be offering an exclusive disc with their set on the street date. I'll pick mine up at whichever store has the better deal. Anyway, some clips from the DVD went up at K-Site last night:

http://www.kryptonsite.com/s5dvdinfo.htm

Personally, I'm going to skip them. The DVD is only a couple of weeks away, and I'd rather save watching them for then.

JheyDC
08-25-2006, 11:33 AM
^I know what you mean. I think Costco will the better deal. It is worth the wait!!!

the elmo zombie
08-25-2006, 01:27 PM
best buy has a bonus disc.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&cmp=&id=pcmcat98300050006

boydston_14
08-26-2006, 10:48 AM
I wonder when we'll get to see who's on the discs.

Alien
08-30-2006, 05:16 AM
I pre-ordered this DVD from amazon, should arive in the mail today, tomorrow or possibly Friday :D

Tornado
08-30-2006, 07:25 AM
Have fun with your R2 set. I've heard its packaging is garbage compared to the previous four seasons. Apparently the R2 set (no word on R1 yet) has mini keepcases inside the set as opposed to a fold-out case. Also, no booklet for you folks either; the episode descriptions are written on the backs of the cases.

I'm praying that R1 is the normal set-up, because if it's anything like R2's, I won't be pleased.

Alien
08-30-2006, 08:50 AM
What! None of the others were like that! I was looking at in the show the other day and it looks exactly like the other seasons... (I get 10% off at Amazon and I'm not paying post so I have to wait a few days to pick it up)

Alien
08-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah so it arrived today, it is a wee bit diffrent which is a shame coz it would've been good if all the season were the same. a well it's not too bad, it's fine really.

boydston_14
08-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Yeah so it arrived today, it is a wee bit diffrent which is a shame coz it would've been good if all the season were the same. a well it's not too bad, it's fine really.

Can you answer me one question about the DVD: who's on each disc? (I know Clark is still gonna be on disc 1 though).

Sora Kahn
08-31-2006, 06:33 PM
I'll probably buy it even though it was the absolute worst season of Smallville ever. The last three episodes of the Blade series were better than this entire season put together. Man, directors really know how to demolish Kal-El's image. I really feel sorry for that poor alien.

boydston_14
08-31-2006, 07:09 PM
I'll probably buy it even though it was the absolute worst season of Smallville ever. The last three episodes of the Blade series were better than this entire season put together. Man, directors really know how to demolish Kal-El's image. I really feel sorry for that poor alien.

Wait, why spend the $40-45 for it if you don't like it so much?

Sora Kahn
08-31-2006, 08:12 PM
^I probably just wait until it gets cheaper or use a few Target gift cards to get it.

Alien
09-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Can you answer me one question about the DVD: who's on each disc? (I know Clark is still gonna be on disc 1 though).
That means having to go all the way back up stairs to check... Ok, fine, I hope you appreciate this...

We have, 1:Clark, 2:Lana, 3:Lex, 4:Chloe, 5:Lois, 6:Martha & Jonathan.

I'm sure Tornado will run off and get you a pic of the DVDs somewhere, he seems quite keen on doing that kinda stuff.

Spirited Away
09-01-2006, 08:05 AM
Have fun with your R2 set. I've heard its packaging is garbage compared to the previous four seasons. Apparently the R2 set (no word on R1 yet) has mini keepcases inside the set as opposed to a fold-out case. Also, no booklet for you folks either; the episode descriptions are written on the backs of the cases.
It's the same packaging as your R1 Prison Break Season 1.

Alien
09-01-2006, 09:11 AM
I like the mini keepcases better I just miss the booklet :(It's the same packaging as your R1 Prison Break Season 1.
Wait, Season 1 not Season 1 part 1! I hate R2!

Edit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prison-Break-Complete-Season-1-2005/dp/B000FS9FW6/sr=8-3/qid=1157119940/ref=pd_ka_3/026-9566183-6509268?ie=UTF8&s=gateway

They did it like they did Lost Bringing out Part 1 then the whole thing at the same time as Part 2. People that got Part 1 will get pissed but I'm so happy I held out. Now I'll just hold out a wee bit longer till the sales and/or before Season 2 starts and get Prison Break then.

Tornado
09-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Here are some images of the set, too big to just post so I'm using links instead:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/theanomaly2/d80fe659.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/theanomaly2/cad013be.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/theanomaly2/4136d465.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/theanomaly2/30ca0ae7.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/theanomaly2/ae3c5a0f.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/theanomaly2/0e21496c.jpg

I know R1 is looking like it's pretty much out of luck for the cases too... but man I really hope we get the normal looking set. I just don't like this at all, it's going to look uber-goofy on my shelf. And I'm not a fan of not getting a booklet, the descriptions are very cluttered on the box.

boydston_14
09-01-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm not really liking this change. I mean, why change a good thing witht the cases? Thanks Alien and Torn!

Spirited Away
09-01-2006, 10:58 PM
I'm not really liking this change. I mean, why change a good thing witht the cases? Thanks Alien and Torn!
Because Warner Brothers gets complaints that their box sets fall apart.

Now that they do the DVD consumer some justice, you're complaining about it? :nono:

It's not like it doesn't match with the existing sets, it's just got three slip out cases instead of a plastic book case.

boydston_14
09-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Because Warner Brothers gets complaints that their box sets fall apart.

Now that they do the DVD consumer some justice, you're complaining about it? :nono:

It's not like it doesn't match with the existing sets, it's just got three slip out cases instead of a plastic book case.

I'm just saying, I liked the way they use to do the sets. Mine never fell apart, but whatever, if that's the case...(no pun intended)

Spirited Away
09-02-2006, 10:39 PM
I liked them too, but I honestly prefer smaller slip cases. It makes the whole thing thinner. And you can't see the back side anyway (I suspect people place the slide-out side against the wall too).

boydston_14
09-05-2006, 10:22 PM
1 week left!!!

boydston_14
09-07-2006, 09:37 PM
5 days left! I can't wait to see what this set is like.

Tornado
09-09-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm fairly confident that we're going to be getting the same thing that R2 got, BUT, I did see a commercial for the set that had it lined up against the other sets - and it looked strikingly similar in length and width compared to the others.

In other words, we'll see. I'm sure someone over at K-Site will get their set this weekend and we'll find out for sure.

Spirited Away
09-09-2006, 02:58 AM
Jesus Christ! You're obsessed. It looks exactly the same on the outside, I'm not sure what else one could say.

Tornado
09-09-2006, 10:32 AM
You're obsessed.

I'm curious more than anything else.

dvdfan
09-10-2006, 09:48 PM
I would be pissed if they changed the case because I love the cases each other set is in. I hate when the companies make one season set different than the others. It pissed me off when I bought NYPD Blue Season 03 from Amazon and this thin piece of **** came. They don't fit in with all the other season sets is all I'm saying.

boydston_14
09-10-2006, 10:18 PM
I would be pissed if they changed the case because I love the cases each other set is in. I hate when the companies make one season set different than the others. It pissed me off when I bought NYPD Blue Season 03 from Amazon and this thin piece of **** came. They don't fit in with all the other season sets is all I'm saying.

They also changed the Simpsons box sets with season 6. I still remember all the *****ing and moaning I heard about it. It's just a DVD!

Tornado
09-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Oh come on boydston, it bothers you too.

Anyway, some news from K-Site's review:

Packaging: The packaging for this one is a bit slimmer than what was used for Seasons 1-4. It kind of annoys me when a studio switches gears in the middle of a series' releases, but what can you do? It's still not as bad as the four different sizes used for the Dallas releases that Warner Home Video has put out.

Now with the smaller packaging Warner has done the "overlapping discs" thing which still makes me paranoid about scratching. But at least this won't break as easily as some of my older Smallville releases did.

As per usual with these sets, the box art and the disc art is excellent. Whoever designs these things does a great job. The little booklet that comes with the set isn't a Smallville High yearbook anymore, but it still looks good. The booklet also features a note from Alfred Gough and Miles Millar where they thank The WB for five great years.

DVD Menus: I love the way each season's menus are introduced, and Season 5 is no exception. Great job.

------------------------------

It sounds like we're getting something similar to what the first season of Supernatural was (I think anyway, I don't actually own that, I just know it's a slimmer fold out set). I'm just glad we're getting the booklet and animated menus.

Alien
09-11-2006, 09:45 AM
It doesn't bother me. Smallville Season 5 is about 1mm thinner than 1-4 and 1mm taller but otherwise from the box you wouldn't know the difference.

boydston_14
09-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Oh come on boydston, it bothers you too.

Anyway, some news from K-Site's review:

Packaging: The packaging for this one is a bit slimmer than what was used for Seasons 1-4. It kind of annoys me when a studio switches gears in the middle of a series' releases, but what can you do? It's still not as bad as the four different sizes used for the Dallas releases that Warner Home Video has put out.

Now with the smaller packaging Warner has done the "overlapping discs" thing which still makes me paranoid about scratching. But at least this won't break as easily as some of my older Smallville releases did.

As per usual with these sets, the box art and the disc art is excellent. Whoever designs these things does a great job. The little booklet that comes with the set isn't a Smallville High yearbook anymore, but it still looks good. The booklet also features a note from Alfred Gough and Miles Millar where they thank The WB for five great years.

DVD Menus: I love the way each season's menus are introduced, and Season 5 is no exception. Great job.

------------------------------

It sounds like we're getting something similar to what the first season of Supernatural was (I think anyway, I don't actually own that, I just know it's a slimmer fold out set). I'm just glad we're getting the booklet and animated menus.

Good thing about the booklet, I was a fraid we wouldn't get one for this season.

Spirited Away
09-11-2006, 07:07 PM
They also changed the Simpsons box sets with season 6. I still remember all the *****ing and moaning I heard about it. It's just a DVD!
No they didn't. They added an extra limited edition style of casing (the heads) as well as the normal versions. If you look in the shops, you'll find Season 8 has both a normal box and a head-case.

Spirited Away
09-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Good thing about the booklet, I was a fraid we wouldn't get one for this season.
The UK didn't get one this year, that's a bummer. But we got the set first, and I've seen it now back to back, so i'm content.

Tornado
09-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Well I just got back from Best Buy. I wish the packaging was the same as Seasons 1-4, but this really isn't that bad. The slimness of it is fine, the overlapping discs isn't really that big of a deal (all of the other sets I have with this set-up are stills scratch-free), the booklet is nice, the DVD intro to the menu is great, etc. All in all it's a good set.

I've heard the extras are pretty underwhelming, but I know for a fact that there are deleted scenes for 503 - Hidden and 512 - Reckoning. I'm sure Reckoning's deleted scene(s) will feature Clark and Jonathan in the Fortress. As for Hidden, I'm really hoping for something with Clark after the missile destruction... like how he got back to Earth (I realize he fell, but seeing it or something like it would be nice).

boydston_14
09-12-2006, 01:41 PM
I just got the set, and I'm watching Arrival right now. So far the set's great (they changed alot but IMO it's still cool). Can't wait to watch Hidden and Reckoning.

Tornado
09-13-2006, 08:37 AM
All of the deleted scenes have kind of sucked so far in my opinion (I just finished watching "Thirst" and I've seen all the edited out clips up to that episode), EXCEPT for ironically the one for "Thirst" in which Lex administers the antidote to Chloe.... which after watching it makes me wonder why they cut it. Must have been for time restraints, because that one scene is better than just about everything in the episode (aside from Chloe's Daily Planet stuff, I thought that was neat). Lex's remarks sold the scene:

Lex - Come on Chloe.... you're not done being a pain in the butt yet are you? [while waiting for her to come to in the hospital]

Chloe - [comes to] Clark!!!

Lex - Less hair, more money.

boydston_14
09-13-2006, 05:27 PM
All of the deleted scenes have kind of sucked so far in my opinion (I just finished watching "Thirst" and I've seen all the edited out clips up to that episode), EXCEPT for ironically the one for "Thirst" in which Lex administers the antidote to Chloe.... which after watching it makes me wonder why they cut it. Must have been for time restraints, because that one scene is better than just about everything in the episode (aside from Chloe's Daily Planet stuff, I thought that was neat). Lex's remarks sold the scene:

Lex - Come on Chloe.... you're not done being a pain in the butt yet are you? [while waiting for her to come to in the hospital]

Chloe - [comes to] Clark!!!

Lex - Less hair, more money.

Well, I actually kinda liked the deleted stuff from Vessel (which I really wanted to see after the stuff we saw in the commercials that wasnt in the actual episode).

Tornado
09-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Well, I actually kinda liked the deleted stuff from Vessel (which I really wanted to see after the stuff we saw in the commercials that wasnt in the actual episode).

Like I said, I haven't gotten that far yet. I watch the deleted scenes right along with the episodes. I finished "Splinter" earlier in the day.

Jason Krueger
09-15-2006, 05:26 PM
I just bought the dvd and its with my mom right now who should be home soon, can't wait to watch it, cause I only got to see 3 episodes of this season.