PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen or Fullscreen

CommanderCool84
03-22-2004, 11:41 PM
which do u prefer and why....i prefer widescreen cause u can see the whole movie, not like FS when u have 30% or so cut of the image

sandman441
03-22-2004, 11:57 PM
I am probably going to be bashed for this but I can't stand wide screen the black bars are annoying they go in and out when I am watching a movie sometimes I can see them other times I can't.

SethRex
03-23-2004, 01:11 AM
I don't mind either depending on the situation. though i do in fact prefer Widescreen.

ruban
03-23-2004, 01:19 AM
Widescreen.

The way movies are meant to be watched.
No "fool"screen for me :p

cg124
03-23-2004, 05:23 AM
man this has been done like a million times

aturner
03-23-2004, 05:57 AM
Hmm, gee let me think. Um..... widescreen perhaps?

Parrish
03-23-2004, 06:05 AM
widescreen

Tornado
03-23-2004, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by sandman441
I am probably going to be bashed for this but I can't stand wide screen the black bars are annoying they go in and out when I am watching a movie sometimes I can see them other times I can't.

I would imagine that is because you are watching films with different aspect ratios, I know on my 36" TV, for a film with the ratio of 2:35:1, the bars are fairly small and if you focus on the action you won't even notice the bars. But for a film with the ratio of 1:85:1, there are no bars on my TV . . .

My vote goes to widescreen . . .

droidguy1119
03-23-2004, 09:32 AM
There's already a really long poll with the exact same question...and Widescreen, of course, is kicking ass.

Kable24
03-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Widescreen, just because it is so much better than "foolscreen" Plus I have a widescreen tv.

Movie mogul
03-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Kable24
Widescreen, just because it is so much better than "foolscreen" Plus I have a widescreen tv.

Same with me.

tedward
03-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Who would care if they stoped releasing fullscreen versions - would anyone really kick up a fuss?

Spike2002
03-23-2004, 03:29 PM
I prefer Fullscreen over Widescreen. :D

Movie mogul
03-23-2004, 04:01 PM
Actually it doesn't make a difference to me...I can change the screen on my TV to suit my needs :)

Switzer
03-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Fullscreen is better than wide becuz it just looks wider, Full screen makes the picture bigger

droidguy1119
03-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Rule of Thumb:

If you make a full-frame version, you should be required to also release a widescreen version (unless it was shot in full-frame, like a lot of older movies are).

Examples of not following this rule, all from Universal:

The Jerk
Happy Gilmore
Death Becomes Her
Fierce Creatures
The Paper
Kindergarten Cop
Twins

Boone
03-23-2004, 04:14 PM
W_I_D_E_S_C_R_E_E_N_!

Cartagia
03-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by droidguy1119
Rule of Thumb:

If you make a full-frame version, you should be required to also release a widescreen version (unless it was shot in full-frame, like a lot of older movies are)
Definately, I'm really aggrivated at my Full Screen Ace Ventura.

Pointy Shrub
03-23-2004, 05:41 PM
And my Fullscreen version of the The Mask.

Generally in Australia they dont release both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions, just Widescreen. "they" should reserve Fullscreen for VHS IMO.

droidguy1119
03-23-2004, 08:25 PM
Oh, yeah, Fullscreen Ace Ventura sucks.

Over here we have Widescreen Mask, if you were to own a region-free player...

Citizen Kane
03-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Fullscreen should be banned. Widescreen sells more DVD's, who why would it matter?

JBomb87
03-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Since this is been on countless threads I'll just say it for the record. I like Widescreen.

The picture quality is soo much better and you get to see what the director wanted to show you.

Inferno
03-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Are people seriously telling me that they prefer fullscreen pan and scan on great classics like Lawrence of Arabia or 2001? There's no point even watching those movies unless its widescreen.

Kable24
03-24-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Switzer
Fullscreen is better than wide becuz it just looks wider, Full screen makes the picture bigger

Are you on crack???? Widescreen you get more picture than Fullscreen. You are being duped if you honestly think Fullscreen is more picture than wide.

eclipsedman
03-24-2004, 11:08 PM
Who would care if they stoped releasing fullscreen versions - would anyone really kick up a fuss?

The stupid asses who shop at Walmart, or people with small screens. I have a widescreen HDTV so I loathe Foolscreen movie and I refuse to by them, except The Shadow.

Dracula
03-25-2004, 07:11 AM
foolscreen is the devil

Rabbit
03-25-2004, 02:08 PM
widescreen.
better movie feel

Glordreen
03-25-2004, 04:13 PM
I have come to realize that FS sucks. WS is much better. plus my tv is so big it doesnt really matter.

droidguy1119
03-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Back when I had VHS, I hated Widescreen. I didn't understand it.

Then, when I upgraded to DVD, the majority of discs were in widescreen, so I just adjusted, and when I figured out what was really going on (I always remember being a little kid and wondering why opening credits never fit on the screen), I decided widescreen was the way to go.

Come on, buddy. If you bought a painting, and it didn't fit the frame you had, would you just change frames or hack off the sides of the painting?

cg124
03-25-2004, 05:16 PM
yeah at first when i got dvd, i wonder what the black lines were, so i put the dvd to fill the screen and all the people in the movie were tall and skinny, it was hard to watch. so I checked on the internet and I found out widescreen was better. ALthough I have a hard time convinceing my friends and family

ip_guru
03-25-2004, 06:21 PM
http://www.stevestv.com/images/photos/wide-starwars.jpg

Legend67
03-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Back in the old days, before I became enlightened to home theater, I used to find the "bars" annoying. But now I am angered at certain movies that you can only get in the fullscreen format like The Bodyguard, Purple Rain, Full Metal Jacket. Either way, once I start watching the movie, I'm pretty much alright with it, but I'll always choose WS edition if given a choice.

Legend67
03-25-2004, 07:36 PM
Besides, I'm thinking one day I'll own a 90" widescreen tv and it'll have built in adjustable aspect ratios that'll make all 400 of my DVD's fit perfectly. *Whimsically looking off into space* SIGH.

Pointy Shrub
03-25-2004, 08:28 PM
If you bought a painting, and it didn't fit the frame you had, would you just change frames or hack off the sides of the painting?

good analogy.

*note to self, stop cutting-up your expensive 14th century tapestries.*

Dracula
03-26-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Legend67
Back in the old days, before I became enlightened to home theater, I used to find the "bars" annoying. But now I am angered at certain movies that you can only get in the fullscreen format like The Bodyguard, Purple Rain, Full Metal Jacket. Either way, once I start watching the movie, I'm pretty much alright with it, but I'll always choose WS edition if given a choice. Don't worry about FMJ, It was shot in 1.33:1, so it should be full frame, it's no different then casablanca. P.S. that the context that full-frame should be used, when the actual film is 1.33:1, not pan and scan

droidguy1119
03-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by cg124
ALthough I have a hard time convinceing my friends and family

Me too...grrr. They still say, despite my explanation of it and their understanding, that the bars annoy them.

cg124
03-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Me too...grrr. They still say, despite my explanation of it and their understanding, that the bars annoy them.

I just give up, they still don't understand the concept, they think the black bars take away the picture, ahwell we both know were right and thats all that matters, no matter what they say

droidguy1119
03-26-2004, 03:25 PM
lol, it's more infuriating for me because my friends have no reason. I properly explained it, and they all told me "We understand" and I could tell they did...and they still were just like "it bugs us so we're going to do whatever"

Dracula
03-26-2004, 10:00 PM
I acctually was successfull in converting my best freind to the ways of that which is wide and true. I just showed him This page of examples (http://widescreen.org/examples/tomorrow/index.shtml) , the Tomarrow Never Dies one was the one that really sold it.

Darth Barth
03-27-2004, 12:55 AM
Only widescreen!

I got so used to watching a particular movie in widescreen that when it came on TV and was fullscreen it looked terrible to me, and now will never go fullscreen again if I can help it. Although it is nice to have those DVD's with an option for full screen or widescreen in case someone (my aunt) drops by who prefers it the other way.

Dracula
03-27-2004, 11:17 AM
Yeah seeing fullscreen after gettign used to the way movies are suposed to look is just bizare. Like on the Unforgiven DVD where I had just watched the movie in lush widescreen twice in a row(once with commentary) then watch a bunch of widescreen clips in the first Documentary, then watched the older documentary, which showed the same clips in foolscreen, it made me almost throwup how terrible it looked

neo5595
03-27-2004, 11:26 AM
I go with widescreen all the way. Some Fullscreen movies really suck because the person or object is out of frame. Plus you get a better quality picture with widescreen

cg124
03-27-2004, 01:02 PM
i can still watch fullscreen it's just that when you have a widescreen movie and you put the video on pan and scan it looks awful

Juxton
03-27-2004, 04:26 PM
Some people just don't care that a lot of the picture is lost. I've heard "There's nothing to see on the edges, anyway, so what's the point?" I've found that a lot of these people have smaller tv's so widescreen annoys them. I have a smaller tv, but I just move closer :D

I have a friend that felt the same way about widescreen. The black bars annoyed her. I remember when A Bug's Life came out on VHS, it had different box art for the widescreen and full-screen. Her favorite character is Heimlich, and the widescreen version had him on the cover in the foreground, but not the full-screen. We bought each version and switched the boxes so she could have Heimlich on the cover and have her precious full-screen. I finally convinced her how widescreen was better, and now she only buys that.

droidguy1119
03-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Well, ironically, in the case of A Bug's Life and all Pixar films, Pixar actually goes in and does some digital adjusting so no information is lost in the full frame transfers of their flicks (changing a few angles, moving characters together).

Nonetheless, they do it first in w/s, so it's still superior.

Juxton
03-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Well, they did a bit of pan and scan in Bug's Life. Really, they used whatever worked best for the scene. There's a featurette about it on the CE dvd that shows all the different methods used. So some info is lost when they did pan and scan.

Unless I didn't get all the info from the DVD of Finding Nemo, they only added to the top and bottom of the screen. That's the only technique they mentioned on the DVD, as far as I know. I've thought about watching the full-screen version of it (as soon as my dad gives it back, he loves that movie) but I'm not sure I'd notice the difference unless I had both playing side by side. Hmm...what a geekily interesting idea.

droidguy1119
03-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Ah, the Finding Nemo technique is "matting," I think. Some directors shoot movies in 1.33:1, or, as we know it, full-screen. These movies are turned into widescreen films by placing the black bars over the information at the top and bottom.

True, technically, this means the full-frame viewers are indeed, in this case, seeing more of the picture than us widescreen viewers. But the point of widescreen is not just to see more, it's to see what the director was intending when he framed the film and shot it. Therefore, widescreen is still the way to go.

Pointy Shrub
03-28-2004, 08:44 PM
i've posted these pics several times, and i think they demonstrate the point very well.

http://www.aglioeolio.hpg2.ig.com.br/img/wide2.jpghttp://www.aglioeolio.hpg2.ig.com.br/img/wide1.jpg

GraysGreat
03-29-2004, 10:02 PM
I voted for widescreen, but i prefer when the disk has both versions. Even though ill probably only watch the widescreen version. Im weird!!! Haha

gmike
04-04-2004, 12:13 AM
Disney sucks almost all they dvds are in BLEEPING fullscreen. Even through i usually don't buy any disney movies they are a few i would like to including the upcomming Flight Of The Navigator but guest what it's in FREAKING fullscreen.

I tired of this crap, why can't they provide both fullscreen and widescreen on the same disc, lazy SOBS.

I'm mad as hell and wish i could do something other than not than buy the dvds or write to companies.

droidguy1119
04-04-2004, 05:06 AM
Well, their animated movies are supposed to be in fullscreen, but now you've gone and made me angry at them, because I want widescreen Flight of the Navigator.

André
04-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Switzer

hehe :funny: thats funny....hehe. You do know that actually Widescreen has more picture... get your facts straight mate ;)

And ofcource, vote vote is for WS

droidguy1119
04-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Down with foolscreen. It shouldn't even exist, really.

kellness
04-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Meh either or! My parents prefer full

Juxton
04-05-2004, 12:07 AM
But if full-screen didn't exist, we wouldn't have movies like Night of the Living Dead :p

Flight of the Navigator is only going to be available full-screen? Why? Most Disney dvd's (at least the animated ones) allow you to choose which version you want to see, in my experience. So usually they're on the same disc.

Inferno
04-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Fullscreen is like looking at the Last Supper but with only Jesus and a couple of his mates.

Manny Roscoe
04-05-2004, 02:47 AM
Fullscreen.

I dont have a widescreen tv, so, the bars are bigger.

Although it would be good if more DVDs had both formats on a single disc...

Kable24
04-05-2004, 10:43 AM
I say do away with fullscreen completely.

Peter
04-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Kable24
I say do away with fullscreen completely. You haven't been able to get fullscreen in Denmark for years!! Even on TV is it always widescreen!:)

Movie mogul
04-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Both formats are always good.

RawDLack
04-05-2004, 11:43 AM
I can barely watch full screen films. I feel like im being robbed, even If I do see a movie in full screen, Ill have to see it again in widescreen just to do it justice. The last movie I watched in fullscreen was Full Metal Jacket, which is horrible. It made if feel like some made for TV movie by the second half.

IanTheCool
04-05-2004, 12:06 PM
wow, is thre any way widescreen WONT win this?

Quentor
04-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Fullscreen is a joke

Dracula
04-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by IanTheCool
wow, is thre any way widescreen WONT win this?

no

Inferno
04-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by RawDLack
I can barely watch full screen films. I feel like im being robbed, even If I do see a movie in full screen, Ill have to see it again in widescreen just to do it justice.

I can still watch full screen movies - if it's the first time. But once i've seen it in widescreen there's no going back.

The_PBCer
04-05-2004, 08:24 PM
say if you have a widescreent.v, will it play full and wide screen movies both normally without the black bars? someone might of aleady posted this question, but im too lazy to look thorugh

Dracula
04-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Not realy, the Foolscreen movies will have unused spce on the left and right

Inferno
04-05-2004, 11:40 PM
Isn't this what the 16x9 enhancement is all about? If a DVD has that feature it means that on a widescreen TV it will fill up the entire screen, but if it doesn't then you will get black bars on the top, bottom, left and right (in other words the same size picture as if you were watching it on a normal TV).

Movie mogul
04-06-2004, 04:54 AM
I think it all comes down to the TV, i can watch both formats perfectly and still enjoy the movie. I prefer widescreen but full screen isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

droidguy1119
04-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Inferno
Isn't this what the 16x9 enhancement is all about? If a DVD has that feature it means that on a widescreen TV it will fill up the entire screen, but if it doesn't then you will get black bars on the top, bottom, left and right (in other words the same size picture as if you were watching it on a normal TV).

Not exactly.

Movies 1.85:1 will have essentially no bars, but 2.35:1 movies will still have bars.

gnarley
04-09-2004, 02:41 AM
I prefer widescreen since I don't go to the movies very often and I like seeing movies the moviemakers meant for them to be seen.

Dracula
04-09-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Peter
You haven't been able to get fullscreen in Denmark for years!! Even on TV is it always widescreen!:)

seriously... I just might be moving there in that case, is the weather good.

JAE
04-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Wide Screen...thats how the director intended the film to be.

The Insider
04-09-2004, 02:05 PM
You haven't been able to get fullscreen in Denmark for years!! Even on TV is it always widescreen!:)

Nope, not always. While DR tries to provide widescreen versions of the films as often as possible, TV2 are getting increasingly worse at doing it. I still remember with awe how TV2 got sued many years ago for having shown a movie (that "Condor" movie with Robert Redford) in fullscreen, and how they had to fork over millions of dollars to satisfy the guys who were suing them. TV3 however, shows 99% (it's only recently that they've begun showing certain movies in widescreen) of their movies in fullscreen format. But the worst part about Danish television is (and this is the reason I buy movies on DVD and never watch them on the TV anymore), is that as soon as the credits start to roll, some idiot starts talking about what they'll show later that day, the next day, the next week, the next month etc. :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Dracula
seriously... I just might be moving there in that case, is the weather good.

The weather in Denmark always sucks :(

zamphir66
04-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Denmark is a tumor on Germany's head.

André
04-10-2004, 06:27 PM

Pretty much the same in Norway. This just meens one thing: Scandinavia ROCKS :)

DVD_Archiver
04-11-2004, 12:49 AM
I think its interesting that Pixar is painting in the tops and bottoms of the screen or moving the characters around on screen rather then traditional pan and scan methods. In many ways you are seeing something new and seeing more information then if you watched wide screen. For more information on their new process you can watch the features found on the 2 disc collectors version of A Bugs Life. I believe they also talk about this somewhere on the Finding Nemo DVD.

Juxton
04-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Pixar still uses pan and scan in Bug's Life as one of the methods. I don't think they used it on Nemo, though. The feature you mentioned on Bug's Life says they use some pan and scan.

droidguy1119
04-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Pixar adjusted a bug's life, so that characters were closer together, some angles were different. Nemo, on the other hand, is sort of a matted widescreen, where the entire usable image is 1.33:1, but the intended image is still a widescreen one.